Carboniferous Bark Close Up

nala

Hi Hitekmastr

quote : " simply be flattened and pointed downward"

Pointed downward on the trunk, this condition may be the result of compression of the plant during fossilization, however, the presence of large scars (scar petiole) indicates an area near the branches and foliage , Hagiophyton this copy, there is practically no deformation, the trunk portion is preserved in 3D and has not undergone pressure and was fossilized in situ, adventitious roots are pointing down.

Best regards

Bruno

http://forums-natura...631-hagiophyton

Edited by docdutronc

...not to mention that we are talking about millions of years and different climates and maybe adaptations to subtle climate changes that may not be apparent in the geology. When talking about a "narrow" geological period such as late Carboniferous, we're still talking about millions of years which allows for a lot of variation. Bird beaks can evolve differently in one season. Fern bark could be varying, given the times, although as many point out, "unforced" morphologies appear to remain intact pretty much indefinitely. And the variations in each tree (different leaves on the same tree for example and different bark patterns on the same tree) adds to the formula. We all expect things to be simple and complexity in biology is more the rule than exception!

Your right... Were trying to 'pigeon hole' and make some sense of a vast period of time where untold changes infact could of took place very gradually...

This was always one of my favourite leaf's...When collecting was tough going and the nodules hard to find and thin on the ground I used to go collecting anyways and break down 'likely' looking blocks of shale hoping for a decent nodule or two...the rewards are still there if you can adapt your approach sometimes and pretty quickly you learn another way and get your eye in to avoid wasting too much time....These two were laid as they are...Hans Steur took the image when he came collecting with me for his website....

post-1630-0-34839700-1350034753_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Your right... Were trying to 'pigeon hole' and make some sense of a vast period of time where untold changes infact could of took place very gradually...

This was always one of my favourite leaf's...When collecting was tough going and the nodules hard to find and thin on the ground I used to go collecting anyways and break down 'likely' looking blocks of shale hoping for a decent nodule or two...the rewards are still there if you can adapt your approach sometimes and pretty quickly you learn another way and get your eye in to avoid wasting too much time....These two were laid as they are...Hans Steur took the image when he came collecting with me for his website....

post-1630-0-34839700-1350034753_thumb.jpg

Ah - now THIS is really cool! This is one of the clearest outlines of the "trunk leaf" I've seen - ironic that it came from adjusting your technique. Nan and I have been experimenting with various approaches and always trying different techniques - this post is a terrific example of why I always say that cracking rocks to find fossils is like opening a box of Cracker Jack.

Hi Hitekmastr

quote : " simply be flattened and pointed downward"

Pointed downward on the trunk, this condition may be the result of compression of the plant during fossilization, however, the presence of large scars (scar petiole) indicates an area near the branches and foliage , Hagiophyton this copy, there is practically no deformation, the trunk portion is preserved in 3D and has not undergone pressure and was fossilized in situ, adventitious roots are pointing down.

Best regards

Bruno

http://forums-natura...631-hagiophyton

Slowly...sometimes very slowly...but inexorably...these extinct species are coming alive...every picture, every comment, every analysis adds depth and restores life to these extinct species. When Nan and I visit St. Clair, we feel like we are standing on a levee or island in the original coal swamp - it's eerie. How did all of these species disappear in a geologically short space of time? What details are we missing? Where are the insects, amphibians and small reptiles that should have been living in the swamp? What is the meaning of some ash and roots I discovered (at St. Clair) that are pretty clear evidence of a paleo-era fire? Lots more questions than answers!

A few years ago I earned a grad. degree in environmental studies and of course, global climate change and extinction events are very interesting to me as we try to understand the current (6th) extinction event. Presumably, a mix of wet environments drying up and atmospheric changes - maybe complicated by temperature and ice ages - sealed the fate of these species, but also paved the way for seeds and flowers and so on. When we started looking at fossils, we thought plants and trees would be boring - but Nancy mentioned to me the other day that we never could have predicted how interesting and historically/environmentally relevant this area can be.

Understanding the scale of time represented in the snapshots (of exposed fossiliferous deposits) is very difficult, given our perspective (measured in human generations). The Carboniferous coal swamps are known to have undergone numerous transgressions and regressions through fluctuating sea levels; how long did they last, and are all even represented in the geologic record? The rate of a period's evolution and extinction is often deducible only in relation to those of other (often imperfectly recorded) periods; constant inquiry is our best tool to refine understanding.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex...We may never have ALL the answers but its very enjoyable seeing what pieces of the jigsaw we have found...and the best part is, things are slightly different at each site and then trying to put one site into context with another helps and extends your understanding...Its a great period to collect the upper carboniferous, accessible to lots of people from many countries... it certainly gets some very good discussions going on TFF...Keep them specimens coming guys...I will shortly be back out collecting plant myself if things go to plan :)....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nice find!

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

Stigmaria (Lepidodendron root?) I just really liked this specific specimen because it is the first I have found where you can see the vasular tube that runs down the center (you can see it in the first pic), and it is visible on both ends of this specimen.

post-10188-0-39815900-1350944378_thumb.jpg

post-10188-0-96590100-1350944401_thumb.jpg

Hi Itwasntme

quote : " Stigmaria (Lepidodendron root?) I just really liked this specific specimen because it is the first I have found where you can see the vasular tube that runs down the center (you can see it in the first pic), and it is visible on both ends of this specimen."

great find with its central cylinder preserved, congratulations :wub:

here a link to my findings among the Stigmaria and some plates to identify these roots ....

Best regards

Bruno

http://forums-naturalistes.forums-actifs.com/t4340-stigmaria-ficoides-sternberg

Hey guys/gals, I found this today while digging around, its calamites but never seen the seam/line up the middle like this, it has the same ridges as the rest of the specimen?

post-10188-0-04041000-1351285213_thumb.jpg

...its calamites but never seen the seam/line up the middle like this, it has the same ridges as the rest of the specimen?

It is a compressed fossil, yes? I believe what you have exposed is the pith.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Very possibly so, I found an area at my office that had dozer/excavator work done on the property about 3 years ago and today when outside I noticed a small piece of that sticking out of the side of the cliff and started TRYING to dig around it carefully but didn't do so good a job, some of the length off of it. :( . I noticed several specimens in the same area but not sure how to dig around and get it out without damaging the specimen, if I were to post a pic of the area u think someone could give some pointers for a newbie or should I research it elsewhere for diggin it out?

...if I were to post a pic of the area u think someone could give some pointers for a newbie or should I research it elsewhere for diggin it out?

Can't hurt to try! Along with the pictures, describe as best you can the character of the entombing matrix. :)

Nice close ups Roman !!!!

Here is some Calamites bark , mold of the internal cavity .....

Quote : Itwasntme " its calamites but never seen the seam/line up the middle like this "

A 3 d mold , the complete compression and the partial compression, with a longitudinal crack due to the pressure

best regards

Bruno

calami12.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Quote : Itwasntme " its calamites but never seen the seam/line up the middle like this "

A 3 d mold , the complete compression and the partial compression, with a longitudinal crack due to the pressure

best regards

Bruno

Thank you Bruno! Like your pictures, especially the Calamites mold with converging ribs!

Roman! These REALLY bring these fossils, trees and textures to life! I can't stop looking at these images, they are absolutely mesmerizing, the detail is amazing. I keep coming back to this set of images - these make you feel like being present looking at the original trees. Terrific.

Roman! These REALLY bring these fossils, trees and textures to life! I can't stop looking at these images, they are absolutely mesmerizing, the detail is amazing. I keep coming back to this set of images - these make you feel like being present looking at the original trees. Terrific.

Thank you hitekmastr!

One bark more (Asolanus camptotaenia)

134815167774811-big.jpg

Edited by RomanK

quote : " I keep coming back to this set of images........"

take care Hitekmastr ,addictivity , is a serious difficultie to get rid of ...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bruno

best regards

Bruno

calami12.jpg

Really like these Calamites! Nicely detailed!

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

007_mo11.jpg

Hi my friends

Megaphyton from Liévin basin ,this trunks fern shows two opposed rows with big petiolar scars

best regards

Bruno

01211.jpg

00912.jpg

014_mo10.jpg

file2713.jpg

file2712.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Those are some seriously BIG petioles!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett