Fossil Gastropods

Megaselachus13

Lately I have found these shells that are not very frequent in the place. Perhaps that is why I have encouraged you to collect them and clean them briefly. The site is early Pliocene marine.

The fauna in shellfish is very wide, but most of the species appears as internal molds. The only that retain the shell are Scalarias (gastropods) of several species and several species of Pectinidae too.

Normally don't pick shellfish because them doesn't call my particular attention, but those ones seems to me very curious.

I seem to remember that species appears in the book written years ago by Gomez-Alba, but I don't have the copy at this time (I got it at my parents' home to almost 1,000 km.).

Greetings.

post-559-1223379658_thumb.jpg

Those are fascinating, and beautiful :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Neat, looks like French pastry.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Lately I have found these shells that are not very frequent in the place. Perhaps that is why I have encouraged you to collect them and clean them briefly. The site is early Pliocene marine.

The fauna in shellfish is very wide, but most of the species appears as internal molds. The only that retain the shell are Scalarias (gastropods) of several species and several species of Pectinidae too.

Normally don't pick shellfish because them doesn't call my particular attention, but those ones seems to me very curious.

I seem to remember that species appears in the book written years ago by Gomez-Alba, but I don't have the copy at this time (I got it at my parents' home to almost 1,000 km.).

Greetings.

They are Cirsotrema(Stenorhytis) Retusa,found in Mediterranean during Miocene and first part of Pliocene (Zanclean) of Almeria? :blink: .

And yes, they appear at Gomez Alba treatise, although as I have discovered, some fossils are missing from the book.Nevertheless, I think this is one of the best guide books for Spanish fossils you can find. (I think you can`t find it any more!)

Moropus thank you very much,

The fact is that they were familiar to me when I began to find them (and what about three years ago not walk with Gomez-Alba), the fact is they have a unique morphology.

Thanks again,

Greetings.

They DO look like french pastries or merigues drops...like divinity.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello There,

Would you be interested in swapping some Cirsotrema(Stenorhytis) Retusa ?

I can offer numerous Eocene shells from the Barton Beds of England &, or shells from the Red Crag of England.

Nick.

Guest solius symbiosus

The borings in that first one make it special. :) When I find borings and attachments, I try to wonder how much harder it must have been for the creature to "go" about it's daily routine.