Free Cyber Course: Planet Earth

Auspex

I am hopelessly old-school in this regard. ;)

Yeah, and it's better for whacking burglars with than a brand new Nexus 7 tablet. :D

You know you're doing something right when your child asks, "When did Santa evolve?"

• 5 weeks later...

My copy arrived on Monday, it's a soft cover so it shouldn't be too damaging to an intruder. It came with an eBook version as well, so that's pretty cool.

And for anyone that is interested, there's a genetics and evolution course starting this Friday.

You know you're doing something right when your child asks, "When did Santa evolve?"

I started the Genetics and Evolution course on friday and am signed up for the geology course too, I should be getting my text book within the next couple of weeks.

Incidentally I had a dream last night that I wrote a thesis on Evolution in Quaternary Mammals, woke up googled it and found out it is real.. weird.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard any news of this course? It was planned to start in January, but did not. I emailed the professor a couple of days ago, but as yet, have received no reply. I went on the Coursera site, but could not readily detect an address to pose an inquiry such as this. Does anyone have any info? Apparently there were several forum members who had signed up.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I have heard nothing. :( Were it canceled, I would have expected notification, so maybe no news is good news. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I haven't heard anything eiother. Gonna be ticked if I bought that book for no reason.

Well, they still show me as enrolled, and the course is still listed, with the date "To Be Announced", so I don't think it's been canceled.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I heard from the professor, Dr. Marshak this AM. The delay in the course has been the result of the large demand on the production staff for the Coursea offerings. An accurate start date will be posted as soon as it is established. It was great to hear that this exciting opportunity will come to eventual fruition. It is exciting for me to consider the possibilities of an orderly course of study directed by a professional. This will no doubt be superior to my customary approach toward areas of interest. I find that my self-directed inquiry almost inevitably leads to a body of knowledge with substantial "holes." It's easy to miss some fundamentals as you chase the exciting aspects of a subject.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

This suggests that there is a very high demand for this sort of learning! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I just got news, the course is going to start on February 23! See you all there.

Marilyn

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

I got the notice, too; had all but given up!

Now I have to remember where I put the textbook...

• 2 weeks later...

Drat! I am currently neck-deep in a genetics and evolution course from Duke. Don't want to try two at once. This is good news though. I am certain that after they have produced this, it will be offered again. I have taken several of these online courses and think they are just great. They are perfect for folks who are not interested in more degrees or padding their curriculum vitae. They provide knowledge for the joy of it.

I am actually REALLY ticked off. When I signed up 2 years ago, I had the time to take this course. Now, I really do not. I mean, I get that it is free, aside from the 70 bucks I spent for the book, but this is ridiculous IMO. I have NOTHING good to say about Coursera and will NOT deal with them again.

My other experiences with Coursera are all good. I think this one has some problems so I'm dropping out but would gladly try others based on past courses.