I Need Help To Id This Vert

lawooten

It looks like whale to me but the hole in it doesn't fit. I could use some help. I also put a whale vertebrates next to it in one pic here and there are differences.

post-764-1223502441_thumb.jpg

post-764-1223502463_thumb.jpg

post-764-1223502483_thumb.jpg

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Well, not sure since I have never found whale material,

but the vert looks like maybe it has worn more. I could

be wrong.

Welcome to the forum!

Guest bmorefossil

looks like whale to me, why do you think its something else?

oh well the hole could be from it being water worn or something made the hole in it, i have a few that have holes that look like that, i just figured that some marine animal made it

The vert's location in the column could explain the hole.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Next to whale vert

Well looking at the two side by side they look alike yes but then you look at the space between the processes, the hole isn't warn and it goes to the other side of the vert at an angle upward and the shape of the top of the vert is different. I wish I could get a better pic but this is the best I can do.

The vert's location in the column could explain the hole.

You know you could be right about that too.

We have a massive whale vert collection and while collecting it was great it has taken over our two car garage along with other fossils.

I have found similar eroded whale verts in the rivers of North Carolina. Sometimes the hole is started by a burrowing mollusk and gets enlarged through decomposition, current action, etc.

• 1 month later...

Definately cetacean vert (can't say whale vs. large porpoise/dolphin, all depends on size), and sadly I can't see the hole you are talking about. Every mammalian bone, no matter how small, has foramen (tracks or holes) where blood vessesl and or nerves enter and exit. Also, as answered earlier, anotomical position can play a part in shape: cervical verts are much thinner and flatter than thoracic, and caudal verts are rounder and have smaller or no spinous process.

Definately cetacean vert (can't say whale vs. large porpoise/dolphin, all depends on size), and sadly I can't see the hole you are talking about. Every mammalian bone, no matter how small, has foramen (tracks or holes) where blood vessesl and or nerves enter and exit. Also, as answered earlier, anotomical position can play a part in shape: cervical verts are much thinner and flatter than thoracic, and caudal verts are rounder and have smaller or no spinous process.

bj if you click on the third (Pic w/3 verts) vert it will give you a larger view of it and the hole I had been talking about is better seen. It’s late and I am brain dead but when you look at the two vert (One White, one dark) the valley (Can't think of the word I want) in comparison is wider on the darker one and it is not from ware. It has wider spacing. The light colored one I know is whale from all of the ones I’ve collected. But that spacing struck me as different and that and the hole stood out.

I have found similar eroded whale verts in the rivers of North Carolina. Sometimes the hole is started by a burrowing mollusk and gets enlarged through decomposition, current action, etc.

I don't have many whale vertebrae -- just couldn't justify the shelf or drawer-space. I have a couple in the back yard that probably deserve a better fate. Here's one I retrieved 'cause it had extra character:

post-42-1226877116_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I don't have many whale vertebrae -- just couldn't justify the shelf or drawer-space. I have a couple in the back yard that probably deserve a better fate. Here's one I retrieved 'cause it had extra character:

Extra character and a mystery too!

Do you have a theory as to what made the burrow?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Extra character and a mystery too!

Do you have a theory as to what made the burrow?

No, 'Auspex,' I don't know what made the burrow. Some invertebrate, no doubt . . . a shrimp, perhaps.

The centrum is composed of cancellous (spone-like) bone, so it's not too difficult to excavate (relatively speaking, that is) when the bone is green.

The interior of the cavity is smooth and wider than the opening, not a haphazard project at all.

Some invertebrate collectors on the forum may have a better guess.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

post-42-1226877116_thumb.jpg

Wow I think it does have character also. Unlike you we just can’t resist every fossil we find we have a very large collection of all sorts of verts with whale being a big group. My husband and I seem to be very diverse and as long as we have room (Two car garage w/ work space, two offices and display cases) we keep collecting. The next home we buy we want a very large barn we can convert to a place just for our collections. It never ends lol it just goes on and on. Bad thing when both people in a home are both avid collectors with a lot of time to collect :D:rolleyes:

marrow mole

Or "Harry's Hol(e)y Moley"?