Dissolving Limestone

Major

Hi,

Welcome to the forum from another Florida Fossiler. Usually watered down pool acid(Hydrocloric acid)aka muriatic acid, will disolve any limestone, but it will also eat the shells. Fume free acid(weak sulfuric acid) has a much slower reaction to calcium. I have heard of people using casustic mixes(Lye type stuff) to weaken the limestone matrix with out eating shells. But what ever you do, be carefull!!!!! Lye can blind you with one drop and acids can seriously burn you. Do lots of research before you try. And never do anything like this inside,or you could gas yourself.

BTW what area of Florida are ya in?

Dan

Fossilkid,

Limestone is calcium carbonate. Most shells are also calcium carbonate and acids will dissolve both quite easily. If I were going to use an acid to dissolve some limestone I would pick a weak and dilute acid such as vinagar. Vinagar is approximately 3% acetic acid in water. I would advise you to use a test piece of limestone first to see how the vinagar works on the limestone. Also, after you finish dissolving the limestone from the fossil wash the fossil thuroughly with water followed by a rinse with a solution of baking soda and water. The baking soda will remove the last vistages of the vinagar

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

"Agony, Irony, living in perfect harmony..."

(Apologies to Sir McCartney and Jacko)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

lol interesting.. I live in Ocala, PM.. I've got a pool, and work with it's PH levels regularly; didn't know it would do so, but I think I may try vinegar first.. So baking soda would work to stop the 'eating' process? just poor it on, or just lightly? And this was a question for future reference, so sorry, no pictures!

Turok1copy.png

Fossilkid,

After you have rinsed the the fossil real good with water after the vinegar treatment I would soak the fossil in a baking soda solution that I made by adding a heaping tablespoon of baking soda to a quart jar and then filling it with water. Again, after the baking soda soak rinse the fossil really well with clean water.

As stated in one of the earlier responses, mechanical treatment may be the preferred method for limestone removal because like I said, acids will attack both limestone and most fossil shell materials.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Fossilkid,

After you have rinsed the the fossil real good with water after the vinegar treatment I would soak the fossil in a baking soda solution that I made by adding a heaping tablespoon of baking soda to a quart jar and then filling it with water. Again, after the baking soda soak rinse the fossil really well with clean water.

As stated in one of the earlier responses, mechanical treatment may be the preferred method for limestone removal because like I said, acids will attack both limestone and most fossil shell materials.

JKFoam

Mechanical treatment? Such as? I've used pocket knives in the past (lol) I don't think that's quite what you have in mind :P

Turok1copy.png

Mechanical treatment? Such as? I've used pocket knives in the past (lol) I don't think that's quite what you have in mind :P

Pocket knives, dental picks, air scribes...the occasional Anglo-Saxon word.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Auspex -

I was sitting here staring at your post, trying to figure out what you meant by the Anglo Saxon word comment...

Most (if not all) of the really effective expletives are of Anglo-Saxon derivation; it is their gift to the western world.

Usually I'm not in a situation such as this, but WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU MEANING?! lol

-please excuse this comment-

Turok1copy.png

Usually I'm not in a situation such as this, but WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU MEANING?! lol

Welcome to the Forum! ;)

What Auspex is referring to, is that most of the vulgarities and offensive words, as opposed to actual cursing, swearing and blasphemies, are words that derive from Anglo-Saxon. Some of them are referred to as four letter words as opposed to their longer Latin synonyms such as excrement.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

"Agony, Irony, living in perfect harmony..."

(Apologies to Sir McCartney and Jacko)

You are subjecting me to sarcastic excruciation by getting that cursed song stuck in my head.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

What Auspex is referring to, is that most of the vulgarities and offensive words, as opposed to actual cursing, swearing and blasphemies, are words that derive from Anglo-Saxon. Some of them are referred to as four letter words as opposed to their longer Latin synonyms such as excrement.

Or you can go Russian and say Dermo!

As much as I enjoyed the diversion away from the thread, I have a question regarding the cleaning of limestone fossils. I have several fossils that have a green "stain" on them that I can somewhat remove with vinegar, but not completely. Could someone that is more chemical literate than me please explain what this is and how to remove it without eroding the finer textures of my recently discovered ammonites.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I left a few specimens in vinegar and twelve hours, completely submerged, nothing had happened :P

It's distilled white, is that a problem?

Turok1copy.png