Aurora Fall Season Has Canceled This Year

lawooten

Guest N.AL.hunter

I got my official notification from them this morning about the cancellation. They did say they will try to give those who got canceled priority next spring. All is well in the world.

I got my official notification from them this morning about the cancellation. They did say they will try to give those who got canceled priority next spring. All is well in the world.

Yes, I read his note, too. I wish him luck-he's gonna need it in this endeavor! Lots of groups and individuals only come in spring or fall, but not both. That's a tremendous amount of effort on his part. Pat

I agree Mr. Ormond not only deals with these collecting events but I sure have other duties that require his attention also. Pat you also put a lot into this and I realize it is very frustrating and time consuming. For all you give all of us each year thanks to all of you who give up your time when by rights you don't half too really. Without all of you who organize these events none of us would have Lee Creek fossils. :D

Thanks Linda-but this is surely a team effort. It takes all of us to make it work--drivers, guides and collectors to keep everything running smoothly. I was alerted to a dangerous situation by another fossil collector this weekend. The area was well within bounds (and included some prime Yorktown) but he chose to do the right thing to avoid a potentially serious mishap. We have to look out for one another. Pat

Yes, I read his note, too. I wish him luck-he's gonna need it in this endeavor! Lots of groups and individuals only come in spring or fall, but not both. That's a tremendous amount of effort on his part. Pat

Hi Pat! I was wondering if you were ever going to get on here. This is Russell from Maryland. I heard about the fall season being canceled :( I guess it is for the best. I'd rather be safe and wait till next spring but still am sad that I won't be able to get into the mine this season. I got my girlfriend a purple hardhat and everything; she agreed to go back with me :D I think Curtis made a very hard, but wise decision though. I'm guessing you don't want to mess with reclaimation. Hopefully next session will be better and they will allow those who did not able to make it this season to be first for next session. Do you think I should sign up to be a friend of the museum just in case? I was wondering what that would entail? Anyway, glad you've joined, at least if you're the person I'm thinking of.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks Linda-but this is surely a team effort. It takes all of us to make it work--drivers, guides and collectors to keep everything running smoothly. I was alerted to a dangerous situation by another fossil collector this weekend. The area was well within bounds (and included some prime Yorktown) but he chose to do the right thing to avoid a potentially serious mishap. We have to look out for one another. Pat

wait so your the real Pat! wow very cool

Hi Pat! I was wondering if you were ever going to get on here. This is Russell from Maryland. I heard about the fall season being canceled :( I guess it is for the best. I'd rather be safe and wait till next spring but still am sad that I won't be able to get into the mine this season. I got my girlfriend a purple hardhat and everything; she agreed to go back with me :D I think Curtis made a very hard, but wise decision though. I'm guessing you don't want to mess with reclaimation. Hopefully next session will be better and they will allow those who did not able to make it this season to be first for next session. Do you think I should sign up to be a friend of the museum just in case? I was wondering what that would entail? Anyway, glad you've joined, at least if you're the person I'm thinking of.

Hey Russ--I see you're pushing the image of that huge tooth-you know--the one that jumped up on the ramp and into your apron!! ;) Had probs getting on here for a long time (slow connection) but a friend showed the low-res version so now I'm fine with it. I think Friends will still get first choice for spring--they have kinda been promised that from the beginning of Friends. After that, who knows? I'd not join Friends just to go to the mine. Early March isnt always kind to fossil collectors!! Cold, wet and muddy sometimes. Contact me at home by email--I lost/misplaced yours. PY

Guest solius symbiosus

Off Topic:

Cold, wet and muddy...

Maybe(?)... not the best weather for collecting, but absolutely, by far, the best weather for a bivouac. ;)

It is reassuring that the well being of the participants of the "hunt" is held in such high regard. A collector(mineral) lost his life to a mishap close to here several years ago.