Post Your Favorite Field Photos

Uncle Siphuncle

You kidding, Mike?? Please say yes...... :o

OK. Yes, I'm kidding, but..... I was in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago for quartz and hit a couple of spots for fossils on the way back. Based on what I saw while hunting, I could throw out a guess or two as to the general vicinity of that spot. Don't worry, I won't tell. post-534-1226636784.gif

Me too :D

Nice Echinoids MB are they the more common ones in your area? I am still working on finding you a complete crab.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

It's Cretaceous limestone-clay layers freshly cut into by recent heavy rains and high water.

Nice Strat-Sed. Storm deposits? Any history?

ok, finally had some time to get some pics resized, so here are a few of my favorite field photo's, enjoy.

The vert string is just a wonderful shot! And the winterscapes; pure solitude.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hey, um, those tracks don't look old enough to not be an issue. and thanks for posting the pictures of the teeth, since that's the only way i'll ever get to see something like that. and hey, did you dig that entire hole that you're in with that lady? and don't you think when you start putting pin ups of ladies on the walls of your hole, you're starting to make it a little too much of a permanent location?

i'm sorry, but if those tracks were near me and you took a picture, it'd be of tracer holding the largest bore, biggest magazine capacity weapon available. it's like that guy who asked that old timer why he carried a .45, and he replied, "because they don't make a .46".

The vert string is just a wonderful shot! And the winterscapes; pure solitude.

thanks Auspex, I have been back to that string of vertebrae several times over the last couple years, each time I take a photo of it and compare them as it slowly erodes away.

I have been back to that string of vertebrae several times over the last couple years, each time I take a photo of it and compare them as it slowly erodes away.

There's going to be more than a few folks who read that and just pull their hair out. It took me a while to get past the acquisition reflex and begin to comprehend the concept; quite liberating! (Still, I don't know whether I could pass the test...).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

hey, um, those tracks don't look old enough to not be an issue. and thanks for posting the pictures of the teeth, since that's the only way i'll ever get to see something like that. and hey, did you dig that entire hole that you're in with that lady? and don't you think when you start putting pin ups of ladies on the walls of your hole, you're starting to make it a little too much of a permanent location?

i'm sorry, but if those tracks were near me and you took a picture, it'd be of tracer holding the largest bore, biggest magazine capacity weapon available. it's like that guy who asked that old timer why he carried a .45, and he replied, "because they don't make a .46".

those tracks were an issue for sure! The valley we hiked up had a very healthy population of grizzlies, 7 or 8 if I remember right. There was around six of us in the group and we had bear spray and an air horn which we blew every few minutes so we wouldn't surprise any bears. It was still a little scary, I would rather have had a gun. The fellow that originally found the fossil site used to hike up alone! :o And as for the lady, I had been wrapping up trilobite fossils with the local paper when I came acroos her, with the way she looked at me I just couldn't crumple her up, so we spent the day together sweltering and sweating under the summer sun :rolleyes: Memories like that last a lifetime!

those tracks were an issue for sure! The valley we hiked up had a very healthy population of grizzlies, 7 or 8 if I remember right. There was around six of us in the group and we had bear spray and an air horn which we blew every few minutes so we wouldn't surprise any bears. It was still a little scary, I would rather have had a gun. The fellow that originally found the fossil site used to hike up alone! :o And as for the lady, I had been wrapping up trilobite fossils with the local paper when I came acroos her, with the way she looked at me I just couldn't crumple her up, so we spent the day together sweltering and sweating under the summer sun :rolleyes: Memories like that last a lifetime!

bear sign

ok, B.D., well, i'll um, take your word for it, but once in a while lay off the fossil hunting and go hang out with a real lady that you have no intention of wrapping fossils with. know what i mean? i think you do...

There's going to be more than a few folks who read that and just pull their hair out. It took me a while to get past the acquisition reflex and begin to comprehend the concept; quite liberating! (Still, I don't know whether I could pass the test...).

dont get me wrong, if they had been in good shape they would be in my cabinet. I did collect the last 3 in the string but the rest were totally crapped out. Of The 3 I did collect 2 of them have pathologies from where the tail had been injured and healed. To display them I printed out the photo and set the 3 I collected in front of it, it literally looks like the tail comes right out of the photo! Wait, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a picture of it!

bear sign

ok, B.D., well, i'll um, take your word for it, but once in a while lay off the fossil hunting and go hang out with a real lady that you have no intention of wrapping fossils with. know what i mean? i think you do...

In the end, I ran out of paper and had to sacrifice her! She didn't take it to hard and managed to keep one of my best trilobites safe and sound!

...To display them I printed out the photo and set the 3 I collected in front of it, it literally looks like the tail comes right out of the photo!...

Great display piece! In-situ and in-cabinet :wub: . It has real impact!

"mom, look, i'm on the side of a hill - a steep hill, OK? yes, we're having a good time. yes, we're finding some fossils. i don't know - hang on- dad, will we be home for dinner? he said it depends on whether you keep me talking on the phone all day or not, and whether i fall down the hill while i'm talking. ok, love you too, bye..."

post-488-1226870648_thumb.jpg

Here is one of my favorites

Here are a couple of pics. from my latest trip to Bakersfield, CA. One of the endless lines of trenches that have been dug, and one of my hole. I love seeing the different terrains and enviroments that everyone posts!

Here are a couple of pics. from my latest trip to Bakersfield, CA. One of the endless lines of trenches that have been dug, and one of my hole. I love seeing the different terrains and enviroments that everyone posts!

post-1010-1226871450_thumb.jpg