Authentic Megalodon Tooth?

Strange_Bobby

• New Members

Hello, I have always wanted to start a collection of shark teeth...I was walking through a flea market in Naples, Florida and this Megalodon tooth caught my eye...it was only 35 bucks so I picked it up...the vendor had a ton...can anyone tell me if its authentic or a fake? Thanks!

post-10461-0-82754400-1353081462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Strange_Bobby

That's the real deal; a little banged up, but big, gnarly, and a great conversation piece!.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Thank you for all your comments...I'm brand new to this hobby...should I stay away from pieces that have had restoration work done to them?

For $35 you did just fine. Enjoy that tooth.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you for all your comments...I'm brand new to this hobby...should I stay away from pieces that have had restoration work done to them?

Everyone views restoration differently. Usually it is frowned upon among discerning shark tooth collectors. The bottom line is, if the seller did not tell you that this tooth was restored when you bought it, you were taken advantage of. Thankfully it was only a $35 tooth.

If you live in Naples, FL, you should join the Fossil Club of Lee County. It is a great way to learn about fossil hunting, get your finds identified and go on trips. www.fcolc.com

Complete teeth are always more favorable then broken ones, but restored teeth aren't a bad thing either. I've got tons of broken teeth just sitting around because I don't display them so what good are they? But when buying/selling/trading it's always good to be up front and honest. Either way, 35 bucks you did pretty good!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

It's not the end of the world, but you would have trouble recouping $5 for the tooth. My advice is, if you're looking to get into collecting, take your time before buying anything. Hundreds of teeth will come up, don't feel the need to buy the first one you see. You'll find that as you see more and more teeth, your tastes will refine, and a broken tooth just won't cut it. Buy smaller, nicer teeth and you'll be happier down the line

If you're looking for good dealers, I'd suggest trying megalodonteeth.com, or the eBay seller sanzviz.

Edited by THobern