Pcs / Aurora / Lee Creek 10-13-2008

FossilFreak

So here are some of the finds from last Sunday.

My favorite was the small squaladon. My first one

post-916-1224351517_thumb.jpg

Also really like the two teeth I found in matrix. I already have removed a lot of the matrix from around the tooth. You can see the difference in coloration on the sand tiger from where it was exposed.

post-916-1224351540_thumb.jpg

I think I also found a jaw bone to a porpoise or dolphin.

post-916-1224351666_thumb.jpg

Found a whale shark tooth.

post-916-1224351551_thumb.jpg

A lot of fish vertebrae, including that big one.

post-916-1224353358_thumb.jpg

These two medium-sized makos were found very close together, one on the surface and the other a couple inches below. In retrospect I probably should have dug around more in the area.

post-916-1224351463_thumb.jpg

Found lots of Physogaleus "contortus" and Galeocerdo aduncus (extinct tiger/tiger like shark teeth) and other common ray and shark teeth.

post-916-1224353527_thumb.jpg

My heartbreak tooth, I believe is a Carcharoides catticus which is apparently rare. It would have been a nice tooth, had it not been broken.

post-916-1224353574_thumb.jpg

Here are some small shells and barnacles that I liked.

post-916-1224353647_thumb.jpg

Also found this broken ray plate.

post-916-1224353825_thumb.jpg

Most of the Hemis were broken unfortunately. Found a few smaller ones in decent shape.

Cool Stuff, I like the matrix mako, nice color on it. Congrats on such a good trip! :D

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Very nice! That would take me several years to amass here. I especially like the ones still in the matrix. Thanks for sharing. :shades:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

"My favorite was the small squaladon. My first one."

I think your "Squalodon" may actually be a seal molar.

It's too bad about the C. catticus - it would have been a nice example of an uncommon find at Lee Creek.

It's too bad about the C. catticus - it would have been a nice example of an uncommon find at Lee Creek.

Thanks. I did find one in the reject material. I will post a picture of it later.

BTW, what kindof tooth is your avatar? I love it.

Thanks. I did find one in the reject material. I will post a picture of it later.

BTW, what kindof tooth is your avatar? I love it.

The tooth (avatar) is an example of Paraorthacodus clarkii from the Paleocene (Aquia fm) of Maryland.

Also, I thought I'd recently heard that some researcher was questioning at least the species name of this tooth.

hey i think that tooth you found is seal, also could you give us sizes on this stuff thanks, nice stuff btw!

I thought it was a seal also, but I was told my several much more knowledgeable people that it is a squaladon. Either way, I like it.

As far as the sizes go, you caught me being lazy.

The small squaladon/seal is 1/2" from the tip of the root to the peak.

The sand tiger in the matrix is 1 3/8" from tip to lowest point of root.

The jaw bone is 2 1/2" long.

The whale shark tooth is 3/16" long.

The large fish vertebrae is 1 1/2" tall and 1" wide at the widest part. Also, there are two shark vertebrae in the picture that I forgot about.

The larger of the 2 mid-sized makos have a slant height of 2" along the longest slant to the bottom of the root.

The broken Carcharoides catticus is 7/16" along the root.

In the picture with all the teeth, the tiger shark tooth on the very bottom is just under 1" along the root.

The shell on the bottom left is just over 1" long.

The ray plate is about 1" by 1"

Now that I'm writing more, I guess I'll post a couple more pics.

The lightest dolphin tooth is 3/4"

post-916-1224443513_thumb.jpg

The jaw on the right is 1" long.

post-916-1224443501_thumb.jpg

Sorry for not having anything with millimeters. I can't find a ruler, so I used a tape measure.

Nice finds. Glad you got to go to Lee Creek before they cancelled the rest of the season.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

FossilFreak: Meant to tell you that I thought you did a great job on the tooth in matrix. JB

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.

In post #12 above, by FossilFreak, the top photo in that post shows 3 teeth, one above the other, with the bottom tooth being light in color. Are all 3 of them dolphin teeth?

I just acquired some material from a time, locality, and full of fauna I'm not at all familiar with, but trying to learn.

I found a tooth that matches the middle tooth shown on the above referenced photos, with the exception of the root seems to "kick out" a bit at the end. Not sure if that made any sense or not, but best I can do at the moment.

Other then that, it matches pretty well to tooth #2.

I'll try to get a photo of it up on the forum tonight. Thanks all.

Wm.T.