David Future Paleontologist

fossildavid

• New Members

Hi, my name is David i'm interested in being a paleontologist. I'm doing a project on my career and need to interview a paleontologist.

Here are some of the questions I need to ask; Thanks in advance.

1.)What would you characterize this career? (Competitive, conservative, rapidly changeing, stressful, ect.)

2.)What are your predictions for this career? Is it expanding? Are qualified workers needed in this field? Where is the greatest need?

3.)Wat is the potential income for this career? What is the typical starting salary range?\

4.)What is a typical starting salary range

5.)What do you like most about your job? What do you like least?

6.)If you were hiring someone for this job, what kind of person would you hire? What skills and personal attributes are most important? What qualifications would a person need?

7.)How did you get into this career? What was you career path?

8.)What advise would you give to some one who wants this career?

9.)What education or training is required? What courses/major should a person choose? What shools are best to attend?

10.)What kind of people would I be working with?

"Paleontology", perhaps even more than most other sciences, encompasses a constellation of different specialties; be prepared to chart as many different career tracks as there are respondents to your list of succinct questions. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can we answer even if we aren't proper Paleontologists?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

In that case:

1) Rapidly changing, and also a bit competitive (in Australia at least)

2) It is definitely expanding, there are more Paleontologists (and interested people like us) now than ever

3) I've read that the typical starting salary is anything between 30 and 120 grand per year. It really depends on where you work. For example, big money is to be made by Paleontologists in the petroleum industry (helping companies locate petroleum sources). This type of job pays much more than museums and universities do! But, it's not really the dream most Paleontologists had in mind...

4) Same as 3?

5) The best thing about finding fossils is that you never really know what your going to find, and when you do find something, it's always special. Just pondering about what life was like or how the world worked millions of years ago is fascinating. The thought that all of these different critters that now sit on our glass cabinet shelves were once alive in a world without humans is awesome. The past and the story of how things have evolved over time is an intriguing one.

The worst part is probably when you accidentally spilt or break a fossil in the process of finding/removing it from rock. Can't help but think- "you just broke something that has remained intact for millions of years... shame on you!"

6) I would hire someone that shows genuine passion and interest. Someone who has lived and breathed fossils ever since they were young.

7) Well i first became obsessed with dinosaurs and prehistoric life/fossils ever since i was 3. I'm now 17 and the passion has not stopped, and never will.

8) I'd tell them to get lots of patience, because finding fossils requires a lot of that. I'd also suggest they read up on the latest 500 page dinosaur encyclopedia lol, if they wish to focus on dinosaurs that is.

9) If you grow up loving fossils/dinosaurs long enough, you will have most of the knowledge already by the time you get to university. As is my case. I would recommend a Bachelor of Science, majoring in Geology or even Biology. If there is a specific Paleontology course however, obviously do that. I plan on doing Bachelor of Science, majoring in Paleobiology at Macquarie University in a years time :)

10) You will hopefully be working with other like-minded people who share the same passion and love of fossils as you do!

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I'm not a Paleo Scientist, Geologist or even a professional collector. I have spent nearly a half century learning and searching anything fossil. Took college courses at night to fill the void :D about geology. Traveled the world, met many folks and found many fossils and made some life-long friends.

I haven't made a single cent in profit; but that was never my aim or goal. If I was to add all the money and time spent in this life-long endeavor, it would pay for another house...... in Hawaii. B)

I'll get to the point now, I wouldn't trade all the fun and friends for that house. But... if I could have found a way and made a career and been paid doing something I love, I would have 'self actualized' according to Maslows' hierarchy of needs.

My best to you as you begin this journey!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I cannot answer your questions, but if you will take this career, please, remember to be nice with amateur paleontologists, ^_^ because they did almost 90-95% of the whole world paleontological discoveries, also if over the time, their names are forgotten and the professionals often took their credits :( .

All the best

Nando

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to consider is paleontology is a limited field with limited job openings. Most museums have paleontologists on staff, and unless they die, they tend to stay there. Some schools don't even have paleo's on staff. (the U.of Louisville doesn't even have a geology department anymore). Oil companies don't use as many micropaleontologists as they once did as newer and more accurate geological methods for locating oil have come into use. The money would seem to be in the dinosaur areas, but not everyone is Jack Horner. I don't think getting wealthy is the main reason most people become paleontologists, I think it is the love of the discovery and science. Just a few random :D thoughts.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I second everything Paleoworld-101 said and would like to add that a career like paleontology is not one of fortune. It is very hit or miss and a lot of the people who go to college to become paleontologists end up doing something else due to the lack of job openings and difficulty involved with funding digs with out some sort of third party funding. The best hope for having a long-term career is to get in with a department (school or museum) that you could "intern" with until you have the experience to take over that operation. That being said, the true value of the field is in the experiences you would have and the people you would meet along the way. For me anyway, that would more than make up for any monetary differences that this career could have vs. a more high demand field. I've been fortunate enough to meet and hunt with several TFF members and I have been VERY impressed with both the ametur and professional paleontologists ability to communicate and help each other with anything fossil related. This type of community is rare in the modern world and should be a big part of any career choice.

A career in some aspect of sedimentary geology opens up more possibilities. You could still work with fossils to some degree.

Context is critical.

I cannot answer your questions, but if you will take this career, please, remember to be nice with amateur paleontologists, ^_^ because they did almost 90-95% of the whole world paleontological discoveries, also if over the time, their names are forgotten and the professionals often took their credits :( .

All the best

Nando

Well said, Nando

;)

Hydrology! Water will be the new oil.

Study the porosity/permeability of fossil-bearing rock. Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

Context is critical.

Hydrology! Water will be the new oil.

Agreed, but this comment still makes me sad in many different ways.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

In the US, paleontology is NOT a good career move. Museums are shutting down like crazy, and many Universities are discontinuing teaching paleontology as a science. All the true paleontologists I know work in other industries due to the lack of jobs in paleontology.

Sorry to bust your bubble a little. But hunt fossils for fun. Get you MBA and make money.

Used to love computers. But 30 years of consulting, travelling and the like have reduced it to simply a job I don't hate. I still love fossils!

Edited by Boneman007