Cp 9361 Stylus

Northern Sharks

Does anyone know of a source for a replacement sylus for my CP 9361. I'm looking for a decent one for prepping, NOT the standard tip they come with. I just broke the one I had, originally purchased from a shop in the UK which is no longer around (that I can tell -Fossilfarm). I know about Paleotools, but I'd rather not spend $100 (including the necessary bushing) if I don't have to. Thanks in advance

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Ebay has some super cheap ones that are not carbide but they are also not fine tipped,just good for rough work. I have yet to find any upgrade kit for a CP to make it better for fossil work that is less than about $150 plus shipping. Paleotools shipping by the way to Canada is very expensive. There is a company in Germany that has an upgrade kit for the ARO but again it is not cheap.

Ken Mannion in the UK has upgrades but not cheap... http://www.kenmannion.co.uk

Edited by Malcolmt

Ya, I've emailed Ken and it's 100 GBP for him to convert my CP to his standards, or 66 GBP for parts only and I'd have to do the remachining. The tip I had was fine as it was -no conversion kit needed, but as I said, they're no longer around. I'm thinking I may have to settle for standard tips and use the ARO for all in close work

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I actually like my standard ARO an order of magnitude better than my standard CP 9361 for close up work. The german supplier (via The Stone Company) has a high precision stylus assembly for the ARO but I can't really find any reviews from people actually using it.

malcomt, I'll review the German Aro tip offered by The Stone Company... it is a great tool. It works exceptionally weel on delicate stuff. I actually ordered a longer stylus and can get into all sorts of nooks and crannies in White River Fm fossils with it.

But back to the original question... N-ern sharks... my advice is to save your pennies and go with PaleoTools. The tool is great and their customer service is excellent. And I own stock in the company... just kidding.

I'll echo JPC's comments (only I will spell well correctly). We finally saved and bought a CP9361 and honestly I don't know how we got along without one. Since then I was able to purchase another on the forum, so they do come up for sale from time to time. The Paleo Tools work just as well,(we use two) but remember the tools are only half of the equation. Our air compressor cost was more than the tool.

Having the right tools makes everything easier and more enjoyable to prep.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Thanks for the link, but I've decided that the easiest way is for me to just whip up a couple here at work. I have access to grinders, precision measuring tools and high grade hardened tool steel so why not. If it works, great. If not, I'm right back where I started anyway. No harm in trying