Easy Does It In The Eocene

tracer

Don't you just hate it when you go to a public place and someone acts like they own the whole area. Even if you get to the site first, and no one is there and then someone shows up later and they act like you should leave because they are there now? Just makes me stay that much longer.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Not many fossil collectors around here. I don't think that I have ever had anyone show up at an outcrop while I was hunting. Once, I had a guy from the Mineralogical Society stop and talk for a while, but that was it.

I see this on the Brazos River, how do you get there? I would like to go and check it out.

Have you hunted west of Lovelady, there is a layer of sand stone in the second creek where you can find fossil dates and whole palm leaves. You have to get the OK to go up the creek, sometimes yes sometimes no, its right where you find the first coal seam. lots of palm wood too.

JPBowden,

This is the old "Whiskey Bridge" location. It is the bridge over the Brazos River on Tex Hiway 21 between Bryan and Caldwell. The fossil exposure is on the West side of the river.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Incidently, the name "Whiskey Bridge" refers to the time when Bryan/Brazos County was "dry" and the Tex A&M students had to go out of the county to buy beer and spirits. Well the county line just happens to be the Brazos River. I think at one time there were several liquor stores right where we now collect fossils.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I see this on the Brazos River, how do you get there? I would like to go and check it out.

Have you hunted west of Lovelady, there is a layer of sand stone in the second creek where you can find fossil dates and whole palm leaves. You have to get the OK to go up the creek, sometimes yes sometimes no, its right where you find the first coal seam. lots of palm wood too.

That's it. It is a well known site and can support collecting for years to come. Go to http://www.hgms.org for more information, click on Field Trips at the top right, scroll down to the bottom of the Field trips page. There is a section with several files on Whiskey Bridge/Stone City. I'll let you know the next time me and Owen go up there.

Thanks Guys, never been there in my life now its time to go. Now to find a Paleocene site that's just as close.

Thanks, I have been looking up on it and have found the stuff you are talking about. We (Pat and Bob, my wife's name is Bobette),will be going next month. Are there many people there during the week?

Sound good to me, I got to get me one of those Hover Rounds with monster tires. Huummm makes me think.