Fossil Plant Or Skin Impression?

LanceH

Lance, I found a piece of bone flat on one side and with the same pattern as yours but very small, it was found with fish parts and looks like skull fragments from a small cat fish. It is not a Catfish though. I will take some pics tomorrow when my battery gets charged.

Pat

I don't know what it is but Bruno from France might know. He is very knowledgeable about plant material. He is a member on here.

Here is what I found, it is very small and I could only see the pattern with a 40 power loupe, the other piece may not be part of it but they were found together.

I forgot, mine is from the Woodbine formation, if this is any help, and it is about half the size of a penny.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here's a few more pictures, sorry they are poor. Here are the textured side, the back side, and an edge view. I think it's a mudstone type material.

post-11-1229044997_thumb.jpg

post-11-1229045008_thumb.jpg

post-11-1229045033_thumb.jpg

On page 78 of the book Fossil Plants by Paul kenrick & Paul Davis isbn# 1 -58-834156-9

you would sware it's the ever same thing, I tried scanning but in didn't turn out.

"impression of the bark of a fossil tree: Lepidodendron"

On page 78 of the book Fossil Plants by Paul kenrick & Paul Davis isbn# 1 -58-834156-9

you would sware it's the ever same thing, I tried scanning but in didn't turn out.

"impression of the bark of a fossil tree: Lepidodendron"

The similarity in the pattern has been suggested, but the Woodbine Fm. is Cretaceous. Besides, I've never heard of Lepidodendron with this pattern being so small.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess I missed the Woodbine frm. thing, different country different name for the formation, or just blame it on the beer.

Lepidodedentron pattern can get small depending where on the plant. I'm still looking for good exe: just to take a few photo's there of.

But what is it?? :rolleyes:

...But what is it?? :rolleyes:

At the moment, I favor soft-shelled turtle carapace.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

One sure way to ID a fossil is to sort out what is is not. Looked throught my plant material again, but keeping the right age in mind and all I could find that even came close was Cycad cone???

Spent most of the morining going throught my Turtle material and I think it's looking a lot like turtle carapaice, even if the pattern is a little to perefict (Baenidaelepidodosaur :D )

Here's a pic of a piece of Trionyx carapace I came across:

post-423-1229569910_thumb.jpg