Snake Id

jax

I came home today to find this snake dead in the street in front of my house. Its weird, cause the closest field is about a half mile from my house. It is about 2 foot long. Just wanna make sure hes not a dangerous one, so I dont have to worry about the rest of his family.

Thanks

Justin

post-221-1224629345_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ID. It looks like my neighbor might have found this fella in his backyard and gave him the old shovel to the head.

think i said it before but you don't want to kill those unless you keep chickens and are losing eggs or chicks. those things will keep the rodent population knocked down a bit.

i really hate seeing lindheimers killed. their feisty personalities just grew on me back when i used to keep them. i'm not sure why...

Thanks for the ID. It looks like my neighbor might have found this fella in his backyard and gave him the old shovel to the head.

Well now that you know the ID you can educate your neighbor as to how beneficial they are!

Big time rat eater in the burbs as there are usually no chickens around.

B

Well now that you know the ID you can educate your neighbor as to how beneficial they are!

Big time rat eater in the burbs as there are usually no chickens around.

B

Indeed. I would much rather have a snake than nasty mice and rats. It never fails, I always get atleast one in my garage every year.

I agree about not killing them but I sure hate reaching under my hens and pulling out a snake, the last one was 5 1/2 feet long. It didn't live long after that. The 4 foot one on top of my freezer in my laundry room didn't live long either. I still haven't found the one I seen going in my cabinet yet. My house is surrounded by fields on all sides and I get them in my house all of the time.

I had a guy borrow a rat snake from me one time to let go in a building of his to get rid of the rodents. My deal with rats/mice/etc. is that I don't want anything around that might chew on wires.

I came home today to find this snake dead in the street in front of my house. Its weird, cause the closest field is about a half mile from my house. It is about 2 foot long. Just wanna make sure hes not a dangerous one, so I dont have to worry about the rest of his family.

Thanks

Justin

if it looks like this, use a shovel or shotgun.

post-900-1224731136_thumb.jpg

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

...or just take a cool picture like yours and move on.

post-420-1224731888_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Shoot you better run over it a little with a 4 wheeler to soften him up a bit.I don't think that shotgun and shovel are enough weaponry on a 3 ft viper vs a human!! I like to think that having venomous serpents around adds a little danger to my outings "kinda keeps ya on your toes" for other dangers out there.Like locals carrying a shovel with a shotgun for a backup! :P

I like that pic John. It epitomizes the common name Cottonmouth!

B

Shoot you better run over it a little with a 4 wheeler to soften him up a bit.I don't think that shotgun and shovel are enough weaponry on a 3 ft viper vs a human!! I like to think that having venomous serpents around adds a little danger to my outings "kinda keeps ya on your toes" for other dangers out there.Like locals carrying a shovel with a shotgun for a backup! :P

that cotton mouth i took a pic of was 5 foot long, biggest one to date in and in my life lol,it was not my fault i asked it to give me that cork bottle it simply would not leave.ITS demise was one of horror movies.The cotton mouths here will not back down , they seem to enjoy confrontation.

I like that pic John. It epitomizes the common name Cottonmouth!

B

love the pic their, i tried to get mine to open up,but she wanted to sink fangs in mme so no go.

that cotton mouth i took a pic of was 5 foot long, biggest one to date in and in my life lol,it was not my fault i asked it to give me that cork bottle it simply would not leave.ITS demise was one of horror movies.The cotton mouths here will not back down , they seem to enjoy confrontation.

Cottonmouths are one of the few snakes that will not try to flee when approached! They are usually heavy bodied snakes and a fast exit is not in their future.That is why they have the cotton colored lining in their mouths for a visual ward off.Plus most venomous snakes seem to know that they "pack a whollop". :D

Guest solius symbiosus

I don't condone killing critters, unless they taste good.

Many years ago, on a bivouac, I stepped over a viper, and then my little brother nearly stepped upon the creature. A good friend warned him, and then we proceeded to stone the thing. Later that night, I learned that snakes have a very tasty string of meat that "goes" along their rib cage. Not a piece of the critter was wasted, the head we traded, the meat we ate, the skin was cured, and the tail made a nice conversation piece. Too, it was good eatin'!

I'm with ya Solius. Years ago I was on a boyscout outting and we saw a rattler slide under one of our tents. We dispatched the poor snake; however, in an effort to turn it into a learning experience, the troop leaders cooked it up and we ate it. Tasted quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple years ago, my husband and boys went on a hike. Next thing I know, my husband is litterally throwing my oldest five feet behind him. I'm like what the heck is he doing to my poor little boy?! THen I see the big water moccasin in the strike position about to bite my husband. But not for long, because next thing I see is my husband beating the cottonmouth to death with a stick. We stuck it in a good spot to fetch it for later and proceeded with our hike.

The sad thing was that when we came back to the spot we hid the water moccasin, someone or something had already gotten to it. We couldnt find it anywhere. Too bad, b/c we had planned on eating it...or at least tanning the skin.

Anyone know if water moccasins are edible? Rattlesnakes are and taste yummy.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.