Shark Tooth Display Q

gwbh

Hi, does anyone have any ideas on how I could mount the teeth in these shadow boxes? I would prefer not to use fishing line. I would also like it to be semi permanent, as in I would like to be able to remove the teeth if I wish with no damage to the teeth.

post-5100-0-77342200-1355842111_thumb.jpg

thanks for the link. Wow they have a really large selection of display cases, I will definitely be using them when my collection expands. However i didn't really find anything in terms of mounting the teeth to the shadow boxes I already have. I don't really have the money to purchase any new displays.

Not really sure what you mean by mounting them. Rikers press the teeth between the glass and the foam to hold them in place. Sometimes if you display the riker upright the teeth will slide down. To prevent that I put a small square of double sided scotch tape on the back of each tooth.

Not really sure what you mean by mounting them. Rikers press the teeth between the glass and the foam to hold them in place. Sometimes if you display the riker upright the teeth will slide down. To prevent that I put a small square of double sided scotch tape on the back of each tooth.

Also you can use a piece of foam rubber ,the white stuff,then the fossils.That way what fossil you use wouldn't slide down.

Bear-dog.

Also you can use a piece of foam rubber ,the white stuff,then the fossils.That way what fossil you use wouldn't slide down.

That's a good idea too.

thanks I was wondering about the riker cases. I would like to display the teeth upright on the wall. The backing on the shadow boxes I have are just cloth pulled over card board. Tape might work but I'm not sure about on cloth. This may be trickier than I thought.

Do your shadow boxes have glass fronts? If so, you could consider putting a sheet of foam rubber behind the cloth, to hold the teeth firmly against the glass. It sure would be prettier than a plain old black cardboard Riker!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Do your shadow boxes have glass fronts? If so, you could consider putting a sheet of foam rubber behind the cloth, to hold the teeth firmly against the glass. It sure would be prettier than a plain old black cardboard Riker!

that's sounds like a good idea Auspex, I'll try it and out and see what happens.

thanks I was wondering about the riker cases. I would like to display the teeth upright on the wall. The backing on the shadow boxes I have are just cloth pulled over card board. Tape might work but I'm not sure about on cloth. This may be trickier than I thought.

To hang rikers you would have to get the mounting hardware that can be found at those online riker supply stores. But like auspex mentioned, they won't be very pretty. Mine are on a book shelf and some stand upright. Looks fine to me.

• 1 month later...

I tried mounting them in the way auspex described, but unfortunately the teeth in the cases are from a lot of different species and they vary in thickness so much that they dont meet the glass at the same height. :wacko: the search continues...

Sometimes you just need better backing material. It needs to be frim enough to hold the pieces against the glass so they don't move but soft enough to form around them to also hold them in place. I have found that it is easiest if you put similarly sized (thick) pieces in the same riker together or else it is hard to get the different size to have the right tension. It takes some play, but it is just a matter of getting the right depth riker with the right thickness of padding/backing for your specimen. If you have only tried fabrics, you may need to buy some padding. Most craft stores sell stuff in sheets that will work just fine.

Edited by DeloiVarden