Hawk Talon? From North Port

Pool Man

Hello all,

Here's a first for me. A nice talon, I think. This was found in the upper shell layer I usually dig in. I believe this upper layer is a more estuary deposit, due to large amounts of chewed up fossil turtle shell.I think that this is early Pliestocene. Looking for a more specific ID. Thanks for looking!

post-148-1224809316_thumb.jpg

Measures 1 5/16" at its longest. To bad about the tip, Oh well. Still thanking the fossil gods for this one.

Dan

Hello all,

Here's a first for me. A nice talon, I think. This was found in the upper shell layer I usually dig in. I believe this upper layer is a more estuary deposit, due to large amounts of chewed up fossil turtle shell.I think that this is early Pliestocene. Looking for a more specific ID. Thanks for looking!

post-148-1224809316_thumb.jpg

Measures 1 5/16" at its longest. To bad about the tip, Oh well. Still thanking the fossil gods for this one.

Dan

Likely bald eagle.

Hey where is Auspex? I can't believe he hasn't posted on this thread. I hope he is allright!

Not a clue. I'll ask Nick maybe he'll know? *starts texting away*

Regardless, I'm sure he's fine. :)

Thanks eyeryone! My goal is to someday have enough of a collection to begin trading /selling. If chewed up fossil turtle shell chunks were cash,i'd be set :P

Thanks eyeryone! My goal is to someday have enough of a collection to begin trading /selling. If chewed up fossil turtle shell chunks were cash,i'd be set :P

Are you saving the complete nuchal bones from the turtle shells? These are diagnostic to species and are a cool litttle fossil to keep.

post-42-1224890028_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hey where is Auspex? I can't believe he hasn't posted on this thread. I hope he is allright!

I just got back from a week of raptor banding in Cape May, NJ, and have been slogging through the 1000+ posts that accumulated in my absence (despite my clear orders that noone post while I was away :P ).

Anyhow, that is certainly an Haliaeetus sp. eagle claw core (probably from digit 2 or 4). Nice one!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 weeks later...

Update!!

I recently found a small "toe" looking bone and was taking pictures of it when I noticed that it fit perfectly with this Bald Eagle claw. After doing a little google research I think I also have part of the femur.

So what do you think? The Femur is hollow.

post-148-1226878680_thumb.jpg post-148-1226878686_thumb.jpg post-148-1226878695_thumb.jpg

post-148-1226878828_thumb.jpg post-148-1226878832_thumb.jpg post-148-1226879020_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dan

<booming voice over the public address system> Auspex, you're needed at the front. Auspex, you're needed at the front. Customer with bird legs waiting...

so anyway, that's cool stuff. you're a man of many talons.

Coooooooooool!

That does look like an avian toe bone (pedal phalanx), but not the one that would connect to the claw core; I think it is a first phalanx (counted out from the tarsometatarsus), probably from digit 3 (the forward-facing toe).

Can you take pics from more angles of the business end of the "femur"?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Update!!

I recently found a small "toe" looking bone and was taking pictures of it when I noticed that it fit perfectly with this Bald Eagle claw. After doing a little google research I think I also have part of the femur.

So what do you think? The Femur is hollow.

post-148-1226878680_thumb.jpg post-148-1226878686_thumb.jpg post-148-1226878695_thumb.jpg

post-148-1226878828_thumb.jpg post-148-1226878832_thumb.jpg post-148-1226879020_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dan

That's a humerus and it's too small for Bald Eagle.

Here's a few more pics of the humerus.Thanks for the help guys.

It looks like it' from a duck, probably the genus Anas (Mallard, Black Duck, etc...)

Thanks Auspex and Auriculatus. Looks like I'm gonna have to re-sift my already sifted pile and look for more toe bones.