Help Id These,please.

joel

Hello,new to the forum.

I have always been interested in fossils,I have only a few specimens,not really sure if the one is even a coprolight or a pseudofossil,like I saw in the sticky.I guess someone actually does read them once in a while. I found that one here in southern minnesota

The other two are for sure fossils,of what I dont know for sure, but, I think the one is some kind of water plant from the shore of lake superior,and the other is a mother-of-pearl,kind of tooth,bone , thing,I found in the river bed of the yellowstone river,eastern montana.It was in the fall,the river was very low,and I happened to kick a rock that caught the light as it skipped across the other rocks.I picked it up,and it looks like a broken tooth of a t rex ,but it isnt sharp,or maybe a fish rib bone,or something.My guess,anyway.I hope someone knows what they are for sure.I should have pics up soon.

I found it when we stayed in a motel on our honeymoon :wub: in Lutsen,mn on the shore of Lake Superior.

actually,which one were you refering to?two of them are from minnesota.

The last pic you posted, the one you thought might be a tooth. It is a Cephalopod-baculite. A type of shell

Small single sections of the baculite, Native Americans called them buffalo stones and would carry them in their medicine bags for luck in the hunt for buffalo. Sorry I am a history buff, just thought I would through that in.

Small single sections of the baculite, Native Americans called them buffalo stones and would carry them in their medicine bags for luck in the hunt for buffalo. Sorry I am a history buff, just thought I would through that in.

I appreciate the info,very much,thank you.I have been wondering for years what it was.

any ideas on the other two?

Sorry to say that I don't, not for sure but I am sure that some one will come along that will be able to ID them for you.If not tonight I am sure tomorrow. There are alot of forum members from up there, so I am sure someone will know. Sorry I couldn't help you on them.

Sorry to say that I don't, not for sure but I am sure that some one will come along that will be able to ID them for you.If not tonight I am sure tomorrow. There are alot of forum members from up there, so I am sure someone will know. Sorry I couldn't help you on them.

Actually,I never expected answers so soon.Thank you again for your help.

Guest N.AL.hunter

The first item appears to be an iron nodule, but not clear enough to determine for sure. The second one is not a Petoskey Stone as those are fossil corals. What you have is a rock with Feldspar in it. The pink things are Feldspar. The third one has already been IDed for you.

The second one is definitely not a Petoskey Stone. My Avatar is a Petoskey Stone.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium