Something Lower Campanian

Artyom

Right so I was way off the first time. It's cordite! probably WW2 in origin. This stuff is amazing that it still burns like that after sitting on a beach for so long. Really neat Artyom, thanks for posting such a cool mystery!

post-7497-0-89839600-1357062013_thumb.jpg

image source

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

is the answer.

Oh my!

I think it is unlikely that these are ceramic, or were made to be insulators!

There is no doubt in my mind that they are man made, but I can only guess at their purpose. Something related to blasting, perhaps? Fireworks?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Right so I was way off the first time. It's cordite! probably WW2 in origin....

Posted while I was struggling at expressing my speculations! Good job!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi Artyom,

Ha! Google and I are old friends. :D Like Auspex I figured this had to be a charge of some kind. The only thing I could think of was some kind of solid propellant charge like a nitrocellulose charge (cordite and other similar charges). A little googling found the rest. I don't know enough about this stuff though to ID it beyond what I've said so far.

They still make stuff like this by the way, you can even buy it here. So who knows if your finds are really from WW2, but as long as the site is remote and there aren't folks heading out there to shoot of custom rockets and stuff its likely been there a while. The charges were designed to be super stable so they could take large amounts of them on big naval ships without too much risk, this probably explains why they still function so well. Here is some more information about these types of naval propellants.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

VERY cool ID!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thumbs up AgrilusHunter. I give up.

I've set one of these on fire - it burns like a gunpowder.

Just curious, when they started to produce such stuff?

It also rules out ceramic, does it not ? An item fired to even as low as cone three would not be flameable. Phosphorus or sulphur composite ?? What color does it burn?

Hi,

What is "OT" please ? Don't forget there are a lot of foreigners on this international forum !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Since we are an international forum, and there is no Google Translator for "Twitter-speak", clarity of meaning needs trump speed of entry. As second nature as the customary internet abbreviations and acronyms have become, members already needing to use a translator are sometimes stymied by them (not to mention the likes of Indy and myself, who are a bit behind the times).

Not a requirement, just a courtesy to be mindful of. :)

Hi,

Thanks Auspex ! And thanks to Artyom too for the translation ! :fistbump:

As many of other members, I use an automatical translator to be able to read this forum. And about "OT", the translator says "Old Testament" that is the part of the Christian Bible which speaks about the life before the birth of Jesus. Thus it means nothing in the context...

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg