Tumbling Tumbled Teeth...

Hemi-God

I'm somewhat fanatic about collecting every piece/fragment of Mastodont/Gomph teeth I find. Don't ask me why, it's an OCD. Anyhow I had this idea of putting them in a rock tumbler to round them a bit and polish them.

I've purchased a cheap tumbler and assorted media in order to test this idea out. I'm curious to see the outcome before buying a better quality tumbler.

My question is this, have any of you done this before? And if so, what was the outcome?

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

I never used a tumbler for teeth before so I cant help you out there but I do know what you mean by OCD for certain fossils. Any one of my friends will tell you I have a obsession with ghost shrimp claws. I always feel the need to pick them up. Even though I need another shrimp claw like a hole in the head.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

The outcome will probably be that you will end up with a round polished rock that would be hard to identify as a fossil anymore vice a just a rock.

The outcome will probably be that you will end up with a round polished rock that would be hard to identify as a fossil anymore vice a just a rock.

Apatite polishes beautifully.

Edited by THobern

I'm sure the results will be unidentifiable as fossils due to the tumbling. I knew this at the beginning. However, I'm hoping the end results will be favorable. The pieces I've used were not more than fragments anyhow. When the tumbling and polishing is complete I will revisit this thread and post pictures of the end results.

I was also thinking of doing this with the nuggets of Ivory that I find. But the problem with the ivory is that it's so darned brittle that I believe that I have to forgo the first two steps and simply go straight to the polishing stage and hope the pieces don't beat themselves into oblivion.

So I'll be back in a couple of weeks to post the pictures of the end results.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

I suspect the results could be attractive, and interesting; I'd like to see them :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yep, post some pictures when you get done. I have several chunks as well. I konw the gomph and mastodon pieces I have are layered with various colors, so the result could be nice.

There's a Texas member on here who polishes stream worn mosasaur verts. The tiny pores in the bone appear to be filled with a light colored crystal, while the bone is dark. I think they look realy cool.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Just pm me,I already can give you an idea.But dont want to give it with all the people or it will take all my money.

Bear-dog.