Hodge Podge

CreekCrawler

Well, I got out this weeked and had some fun. I guess you call it fun when packing out a backpack full of river gravel.Should have bought a smaller backpack! I hooked up with Explorer 1 aka Jeremy and did a little river crawling.Literally crawling on the belly searching gravel bars somewhere on the South Sulphur River. Jeremy has a real talent for spotting.....well..... just about everything! We were able to admire a heard of wild hogs that had piglets in tow. Here is the total and Jeremy only brought back some gravel to sift at a later date. Jeremy has hunted this particular area of E.Texas since a child and has great knowledge of this awesome river and surrounding areas.

Thanks Jeremy

Bpost-417-1225051473_thumb.jpg

Is that by chance (lowest row, dark, small tooth),

a Schizorhiza tooth or is that a Ischyrhiza? I can't tell but what a great

looking tooth....

Welcome to the forum!

Is that by chance (lowest row, dark, small tooth),

a Schizorhiza tooth or is that a Ischyrhiza? I can't tell but what a great

looking tooth....

[/quote

There are two teeth of the family Sclerorhynchidae.

One on the bottom row on left is an incomplete Ischyrhiza Mira

Very small one to the right on bottom row is Sclerorhynchus sp.

The thing in the upper right looks like a sloth tooth possibly. Nice stuff!

Dan

It's actually just a section of bacculitepost-417-1225061723_thumb.jpg

Nice hodge podge, Barry and Jeremy. Two weekends in a row crawling in the dirt....finding treasure!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

oh now i guess everyone will be rushing there to find stuff lol

Well, it's not for the faint of heart!

East Texas thorn scrub to the extreme in some places!

Packs of wild hogs, there were wallows everywhere.....and I mean everwhere!

There was a guy building a deer stand overlooking the river in one spot.

He told us that he was making it for his niece/nefew to hunt out of. :opost-417-1225073649_thumb.jpg

OK, I'll ask, did you find those coins there too??

Someone may have already asked, but that half dollar is nice.

No didn't find the coins there! I wish!I like a siver coin that you can hold instead of all the coins that are being protected from wear. I actually got the quarter back as change at a Sprouts supermarket last year. I heard the coin when the cashier dropped the change into my hand.Silver makes a very distinctive sound compared to modern coinage! I got the half on ebay in one of those grab bag deals.You know a buch of beat up coins for one price!

B

Well, it's not for the faint of heart!

East Texas thorn scrub to the extreme in some places!

Packs of wild hogs, there were wallows everywhere.....and I mean everwhere!

There was a guy building a deer stand overlooking the river in one spot.

He told us that he was making it for his niece/nefew to hunt out of. :opost-417-1225073649_thumb.jpg

NOT MY FAULT I SWEAR I AM INNOCENT

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

Well, I got out this weeked and had some fun. I guess you call it fun when packing out a backpack full of river gravel.Should have bought a smaller backpack! I hooked up with Explorer 1 aka Jeremy and did a little river crawling.Literally crawling on the belly searching gravel bars somewhere on the South Sulphur River. Jeremy has a real talent for spotting.....well..... just about everything! We were able to admire a heard of wild hogs that had piglets in tow. Here is the total and Jeremy only brought back some gravel to sift at a later date. Jeremy has hunted this particular area of E.Texas since a child and has great knowledge of this awesome river and surrounding areas.

Thanks Jeremy

Bpost-417-1225051473_thumb.jpg

WELL I AM CERTAINLY GLAD YOU HAD FUN AND IT WAS A JOY, WATCHING YOU FIGHT LOCUST THORNS LOL.SSR IS NOT FOR ONE UNFIT ITS ROUGH MEAN AND UNFORGIVING LOL ask my wife. nice finds barry

Nice hodge podge, Barry and Jeremy. Two weekends in a row crawling in the dirt....finding treasure!

thanks john .

Nice finds guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks momma

oh now i guess everyone will be rushing there to find stuff lol
OH LOL, THEY MAY TRY. if they want to survive they better call me . WHEN I SAY MEAN CREEK ITS THE UGLIEST.

Nice. Now I know that the SSR has fossils, too.
ANYTIME COME ON DOWN MIKE

A guy who just joined our local club says he hunts NSR and SSR both .

Nice finds , always something in NSR or SSR area to find .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

A guy who just joined our local club says he hunts NSR and SSR both .

Nice finds , always something in NSR or SSR area to find .

thankyou both rivers are good if you are patient.

No didn't find the coins there! I wish!I like a siver coin that you can hold instead of all the coins that are being protected from wear. I actually got the quarter back as change at a Sprouts supermarket last year. I heard the coin when the cashier dropped the change into my hand.Silver makes a very distinctive sound compared to modern coinage! I got the half on ebay in one of those grab bag deals.You know a buch of beat up coins for one price!

B

Barry,

My daughter and I picked up a silver dime last week at one of the coinstar machines.

The couple in front of us loaded their coins in and eventually got their ticket spit out. As we were preparing to load ours in a dime dropped out.

I figure the silver ones weigh differently from the modern clad ones and thus it got rejected. Anyway, I picked it up and knew before looking at the date that it was silver. Not a mosasaur tooth, ala Mommabetts, but still for a week without a hunt at the end of it I was really happy!

Great finds! Looks like and NSR/SSR trip might be worth planning for spring.

Oh-man

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Barry,

My daughter and I picked up a silver dime last week at one of the coinstar machines.

The couple in front of us loaded their coins in and eventually got their ticket spit out. As we were preparing to load ours in a dime dropped out.

I figure the silver ones weigh differently from the modern clad ones and thus it got rejected. Anyway, I picked it up and knew before looking at the date that it was silver. Not a mosasaur tooth, ala Mommabetts, but still for a week without a hunt at the end of it I was really happy!

Great finds! Looks like and NSR/SSR trip might be worth planning for spring.

Oh-man

PM Jeremy for what to expect on the SSR, I think it could accomodate a few people.Actually a cayak would be the way to go.Remember they didn't straighten the SSR like they did the NSR.

Nice find on the dime!