Hodge Podge

CreekCrawler

Cool finds. You gotta love those monster Squalicorax.

Yes it was a real treat for me to see one of the bigger ones lying flat on the gravel bar.The biggest one was half imbedded and was spotted by Jeremy.He says that there are bigger ones than these around :o

what`s the id of the mammal jaw bone? Due to the conservation of teeth, it could be easer...

It looks rather old and mineralized...

Guest bmorefossil
Well, it's not for the faint of heart!

East Texas thorn scrub to the extreme in some places!

Packs of wild hogs, there were wallows everywhere.....and I mean everwhere!

There was a guy building a deer stand overlooking the river in one spot.

He told us that he was making it for his niece/nefew to hunt out of. :opost-417-1225073649_thumb.jpg

wow well we got falling rocks sometimes in the tons!, deer, snakes, jellys, crabs and thorn trees which are a pain because the branches fall off and then they are all over the beach

Guest bmorefossil
PM Jeremy for what to expect on the SSR, I think it could accomodate a few people.Actually a cayak would be the way to go.Remember they didn't straighten the SSR like they did the NSR.

Nice find on the dime!

what do you mean straghten it! its man made?

Guest bmorefossil
Yes it was a real treat for me to see one of the bigger ones lying flat on the gravel bar.The biggest one was half imbedded and was spotted by Jeremy.He says that there are bigger ones than these around :o

i really need to find me some of them, and the ones you found are great size i guess you know where to go to find the big ones, its just a matter of time before you have a record size tooth!

what`s the id of the mammal jaw bone? Due to the conservation of teeth, it could be easer...

It looks rather old and mineralized...

I believe it is deer!

what do you mean straghten it! its man made?

Hey bmore the curvy North Sulphur River was channelized/straightened in 1929 which exposed the fossil beds. The South Sulphur River is in it's natural wild state and has not really been tampered with by man.

Need a really good rain the river is getting a lot of silt covering the gravel bars and plus it would help to expose more fossils .

Looking for that complete mosasuar skull .

SO , when is the trip ?

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Guest bmorefossil
Hey bmore the curvy North Sulphur River was channelized/straightened in 1929 which exposed the fossil beds. The South Sulphur River is in it's natural wild state and has not really been tampered with by man.

oh cool, 1929 wow thats awhile back, so the SSR also cuts into the fossil beds without the need for dredging awsome!

ok well do they both cut through the same layer? is there any difference between the two?

Snakekeeper64 is half right , NSR was straightened which caused the water to run faster , thus cutting into the deposit layer .

Fast running water cuts quickly .

Dallas Palo has a book on the NSR , we have it , good guide to NSR .

A lot of the material is "transient" material I like to call it , if you find a vert that is sharp and defined chance are it was just exposed recently , most are worn and smoothed , rolled around in river for a while .

.Quote

Fast running water cuts quickly .

Well I thought bmore could figure out that the water eroded the layers! ;)

I think the key word was "straightened" , not that the fact water cut into the layer , straight line water runs faster .

I may have read the book wrong , sorry , but that is what I got from it , have you read it yet ?

Well, it's not for the faint of heart!

East Texas thorn scrub to the extreme in some places!

Packs of wild hogs, there were wallows everywhere.....and I mean everwhere!

There was a guy building a deer stand overlooking the river in one spot.

He told us that he was making it for his niece/nefew to hunt out of. :opost-417-1225073649_thumb.jpg

So, I take it we should be wearing our orange.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

I think the key word was "straightened" , not that the fact water cut into the layer , straight line water runs faster .

I may have read the book wrong , sorry , but that is what I got from it , have you read it yet ?

Nope i is illiterate! :D

I believe it is deer!
no doubt deer its got nice blue color.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

the ssr has been rerouted, in several places, their is a levee running its length, the old channel runs beside it, really all they did was widen it in spots, good forus bad for them, big mistake erosion take off at its best.

I believe the SSR exposures to be a bit younger than the NSR. The NSR in the areas most people target include mainly Taylor group formations including Ozan, Wolfe City, and Pecan Gap while the SSR exposes the Neylandville through Kemp sequence. So what does this mean? Different species of ammonites and shark teeth mainly, with a higher percentage of finds being mosasaur in the NSR. My limited experience has resulted in Pleistocene finds in both rivers, with the SSR giving up more and better Pleistocene stuff as well as small rodent teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I believe the SSR exposures to be a bit younger than the NSR. The NSR in the areas most people target include mainly Taylor group formations including Ozan, Wolfe City, and Pecan Gap while the SSR exposes the Neylandville through Kemp sequence. So what does this mean? Different species of ammonites and shark teeth mainly, with a higher percentage of finds being mosasaur in the NSR. My limited experience has resulted in Pleistocene finds in both rivers, with the SSR giving up more and better Pleistocene stuff as well as small rodent teeth.
and you are correct my man, but the south has now been cutting a deeplayer so you get ammonites mosasor and many other undisclosed items lol, scratching

my head hmm anyone find a skate tooth on the north.