Wyoming Eocene Palms

Jdeutsch

There are several common types of fossil wood in the Big Sandy region of Wyoming- From what I can tell, much of it is palm- but there seems to be distinct changes from location to location. For instance, my avatar is a piece of Blue Forest wood which is supposed to be palm. 50 miles away, there are fields of a red patterned wood (see image)-that looks quite different (Near the Farson fish beds). Are these different species, different geological ages or just different conditions of preservation?

post-7729-0-05272600-1357496333_thumb.gif

...Are these different species, different geological ages or just different conditions of preservation?

I think it likely that they may be all three; the Blue Forest material grew in an ecologically distinct environment (a warm, shallow, salty, algae-choked bayou), which also contributed to its unique preservation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, I think different species and different conditions of preservation, but they are all essentially the same poart of the Eocene, sopretty much the same geological age.