Grasshoppers, Snakes, And Fossil Hunters! Oh My!

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

when you get to the beach at sun rise you expect to be the only 2 people on the beach. When we got there 7 people were ahead of us. This seems to be happening alot lately, one guy had a squalodon and a mako, later he found a little meg. My first meg i had to dig out, there was a little root sticking out of the block and i was able to see it so we were able to pull out the meg, just under 2" in length. I was able to find 2 more megs and a few nice makos. 2 of the makos were retros. We found a few nice hemis. and also a dolphin Radius. So to go with the 3 nice megs we found 5 more partials. the most interesting find is a rib like looking bone, it has a strong ridge on the top and then very thin on the bottom. I was thinking a claw core.

post-17-1225075088_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075133_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075214_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075248_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075293_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075349_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075374_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075413_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225075469_thumb.jpg

when you get to the beach at sun rise you expect to be the only 2 people on the beach. When we got there 7 people were ahead of us. This seems to be happening alot lately, one guy had a squalodon and a mako, later he found a little meg. My first meg i had to dig out, there was a little root sticking out of the block and i was able to see it so we were able to pull out the meg, just under 2" in length. I was able to find 2 more megs and a few nice makos. 2 of the makos were retros. We found a few nice hemis. and also a dolphin Radius. So to go with the 3 nice megs we found 5 more partials. the most interesting find is a rib like looking bone, it has a strong ridge on the top and then very think on the bottom. I was thinking a claw core.
that will teach them to be in a hurry lol, real nice finds bmore as always lol, keep it up.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

Guest bmorefossil

i forgot to talk about the all the grasshoppers and snakes on the beach, the grasshoppers would fly around and then land on you and you would have no idea where they were, as for the snakes they blended in so well with the cliffs that i almost touched one of them lol

Guest bmorefossil

Here's some pics of that 2 inch meg still in the block of zone 11 . For some reason they dont always fossilize completely in that layer . See if you can spot the root lobe ,the early morning shadow does help

post-17-1225228126_thumb.jpg

post-17-1225228198_thumb.jpg

Here's some pics of that 2 inch meg still in the block of zone 11 . For some reason they dont always fossilize completely in that layer . See if you can spot the root lobe ,the early morning shadow does help
good spotting

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

Dang. I would have to retrain my eyes for that one. I think I found it. Never would have without the shadow.

Bmore definitely has those Native American eyes!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bmore definitely has those Native American eyes!

Yeah no kidding. He spots stuff in those blocks most people miss.

Although hesitant to admit my lack of skills, I will still ask... Could you circle it.

Thanks for the pics. As I always say, I really need to get up to Maryland.

... Could you circle it...

Here's my guess:

EDIT: Dang, Bmore, I was 'shopping your pic when you re-posted it with the location; I was hoping to turn it into a contest to win the Meg :P

post-423-1225243634_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Here's my guess:

EDIT: Dang, Bmore, I was 'shopping your pic when you re-posted it with the location; I was hoping to turn it into a contest to win the Meg :P

give away a meg! i would never sorry auspex

Copious hunt, impressive. Next step to some questions.

The hypural bone (fish tail) to wich kind of fish belong to?. The jaw fragment of the eighth picture of what it is?. And the little tympanic bulla, perhaps porpoise?. As you see I'm very lost with your fauna.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Greetings

Guest bmorefossil
Copious hunt, impressive. Next step to some questions.

The hypural bone (fish tail) to wich kind of fish belong to?. The jaw fragment of the eighth picture of what it is?. And the little tympanic bulla, perhaps porpoise?. As you see I'm very lost with your fauna.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Greetings

Not sure I'll look at them

When I get home