Fake Megalodon Teeth

pedrobento

Hi everybody,

Is there any guidance pertaining on how to identify fakes or replicas for a megalodon tooth?

Thanks

Pedro

Pedro Bento, M.Sci.

Texture, weight, color...It's hard for me to articulate a simple, foolproof way to recognize replicas or heavy restorations, because I've handled thousands, and when something is "off", it just jumps out.

Until you get the feel of it, close, in-hand comparison with a bona fide example is what I might recommend. Pay attention to the luster of the enamel, look at cracks with a hand lens, and do likewise with the texture of the roots. Some resto materials fluoresce under black light, but this is not something to assume.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Go to any of the auction sites and type megalodon replica and you will get an idea of some exaggerated examples. But then again, I have seen a few past off as real as well. Take a look at the root, should be pourous and usually has a few drying expansion cracks and blood supply holes. Enamel should be cracked and those cracks should tapper down to hair thin such that the endings are hard to tell. Blah, blah, blah... The more real teeth you hold, the easier it is to tell the fakes or those which have been restored. However, replicates and restos are getting better all the time. I will just add that there is nothing wrong with either, as long as there is full disclosure of the work and the price is appropriate ;) Best way to know is to pluck it off the bottom of the river yourself. I once had someone accuse me of selling him a fake tooth. I told him if it was fake, someone spent a lot of effort to make a very realistic replica only to thrown it into the river for me to find.

Edited by DeloiVarden

Texture, weight, color...It's hard for me to articulate a simple, foolproof way to recognize replicas or heavy restorations, because I've handled thousands, and when something is "off", it just jumps out.

You're a bird-watcher, it's just the giss. There's no defining characteristic, "but I know it when I see it".

One of the things that helps is knowing, in detail, how the fossils are prepped and faked. Makes it easier to spot.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Detecting an altered tooth can be difficult. You can always place any questionable Megalodon tooth in acetone. Acetone will not hurt the fossil in any way and it will remove hidden paint and reveal other artificial applications. Acetone is great for revealing repaired artifacts as well.

A fake or cast Megalodon replica is easy to spot once it is in your hand. As Auspex pointed out unnatural texture and weight are quick indications of a phony.

Ive recently found out UV light is a good medium to view a fossil under.... If you can get it in your hand obviously... repairs stand out....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)