Aurora Fossil Museum

John Hamilton

yeh they got it last thursday. me and fossilz are going on monday to check it out.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

if you do ill be there around 10 or 11, the piles look really good this year, they have gave up a large paraspyheseal cow shark tooth, a nice mako, and a meg to some kid of the aurora fossil museums facebook page.

Edited by zachj

Sounds like good stuff. I found the tooth in my avatar there in July of 2011.

Edited by John Hamilton

Is the new material in front of the museum or elsewhere? I think they only refresh the material in the fields for the festival (?).

iits in front of the museum. They start bringing new material in on january.

There is a parking lot over in the fields made of reject. Nice for surface collecting if there have been recent rains. There are also a few huge piles over there but I suspect that is the old stuff from in front of the museum. I tried to look at the new stuff last week but it was far too muddy.

when its muddy i like to screen in the mud piles near the piles.

Yeah definitely check that parking lot. Dig in around the edges. My mom found a 3"chub rooting around in that. The new stuff is in front of the museum. As about the pile 3 blocks away. Andrea (from the museum) told me that pile doesn't go through the second seperation and has smaller stuff. I found threshers in that pile.

Yeah definitely check that parking lot. Dig in around the edges. My mom found a 3"chub rooting around in that. The new stuff is in front of the museum. As about the pile 3 blocks away. Andrea (from the museum) told me that pile doesn't go through the second seperation and has smaller stuff. I found threshers in that pile.

A 3" anything is amazing from the reject. Was it complete? I brought back five bucket fulls of stuff from the parking lot piles as well as a secret pile I know about. I found a tiny thresher and a huge squalidon tooth which while broke was still nice. And the usual assortment of stuff. I didn't get any from in front of the museum so I can't say how good it is.

Edited by RickNC

i finally found where that parking lot was. there's not much left in there, whats left was broken. I did have a nice day by the museum, ill post a trip report later.

The corner was broke off it. Ya know, I've bought all these buckets from Firehouse with the intention of filling them and bring them home and I be derned if I either end up filling them with other stuff around the house nor just plain forgetting them...this year it will happen!!! LOL

Yeah I found my first , albeit broken, squalidon. And dolphin teeth. One has a little almost cusp-like place on the enamel.

I fibbed. I found the pic, its 2". Doh! :doh!: Here's a link from my last trip.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/31790-good-ol-aurora/

i finally found where that parking lot was. there's not much left in there, whats left was broken. I did have a nice day by the museum, ill post a trip report later.

Just the fields in front of the museum. There was a ton of gravel there a couple weeks ago and the lot itself is made of several inches of reject.

The "fossil parking lot" was killer last year, just days before the fossil festival. From what I was told, all of the material from the old reject piles in the field, and maybe i nfront of the museum, was picked up and moved over to the field to create the parking lot in preparation of the Fossil Festival. The material was spread out by the bulldozer - you may have seen it parked off to one side. The folks that crawled around the parking first got tons of mako's (like 30 or more just laying out). My buddy and I got there on Wed before the festival, and spent 3 days knee crawling back and forth, up and down, zig-zagging, all over that parking lot. On Thurs or Fri, it rained really hard for about an hour while we took a break to eat; we threw on some rain poncho's and resumed crawling around - the rain really hepled bring out "new" material. I found enough in those few days to completely fill a large 1-gallon zip-lock bag. My best find came in the final seconds of collecting there on Fri evening - a small posterior Meg about 3/4" in size. I found tons of the usual stuff; tigers, hemi's, mako's, sandtiger's, a couple cuvier's, some broken cowsharks, and lots of smaller stuff. It was a lot of fun, but I swear I couldn't feel my knee caps for two days they were so numb from crawling around for 3 days. It sure beat digging through the new mud-laden piles or the re-processed "stuff" the mine brought out for the fossil festival.

Daryl.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the lot of reject is still there. But people have been digging holes in it to sift the stuff which I imagine will be frowned upon.

last weekend there were 3 or 4 piles of stuff in the back of that l;ot Rick. Looked like they are fixing to make it bigger.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

last weekend there were 3 or 4 piles of stuff in the back of that l;ot Rick. Looked like they are fixing to make it bigger.

Yep. I mentioned that earlier in this thread. I took some home but not much in it.

Is there some one here who wanted to do a trade my matrix for matrix of your area ????

Greats Arien

Ariens,

I'd be interested but I have no clue what is required to ship matrix internationally.