Seashell

josh2404

i have a seashell that i got from 10,000 feet down in the texas panhandle hoe old is it and i also have some plant and other fossils from that depth

There are a bunch of folks on the forum with a lot more shell knowledge than me, so hopefully one of them will give their two cents. Looks pretty cool. Did you find the other fossils in the same place as this one and were they found in a natural environment or man made (i.e. parking lot gravel, etc.).

they where all found in the same spot i work on a driling rig they came up when we was drilling 10,000 feet down when we td which that is where the oil is and where i find most of the fossils

10,000 feet.... Blimey....It looks to be a Cardinia type bivalve maybe from the lower jurassic...or... a small Carbonicola type bivalve from the carboniferous... You would need to see the other stuff you found with it to be more precise but I'm going with my 2nd guess for now...

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

It should be simple enough to find out the geological age of the oilshale being bored. Just ask the company geologist. That would narrow things down quite a bit.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

"Sea" Josh, I knew the forum would come through for you. The great thing about the forum is that it is the many that make it so great.

hard to tell from the pic, but I think one of those is an ammonite

I'm wondering if the ammonite looking one is infact the end view of a coral perhaps....

Does the first clam have prominent ridges similar to the big clam here?:

post-6808-0-56306500-1357637625_thumb.jpg

If so, it could be the Pennsylvanian clam Astartella.

Also, according to this PDF:

http://www.ogs.ou.edu/MEETINGS/Presentations/OilGasMar2012/MITCHELL_ANDARKO.pdf

Pennsylvanian strata are around 10000 feet deep in nearby Beckham County, Oklahoma (well logs on p.42 and p.49).

Context is critical.

i found these fossils in between perryton and spearman texas the ridges are small and close together not like your seashell in the pic

i found these fossils in between perryton and spearman texas the ridges are small and close together not like your seashell in the pic

Josh... We need better photo's and some close ups.....