How To Display Dino Teeth Vertically Without A Case?

Captain Jack

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could help with the below?

One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of Megalodon teeth stands available on the market, which is well and good if you want to display a shark tooth but is there anything similar for dinosaur teeth? Say to stick a T-Rex tooth or a Carch tooth vertically straight up?

I understand this could be trickier due to the variations you are likely to get in dinosaur teeth.

I don't want to stick the teeth in a riker display as it creates a barrier and is will only show one side, but then I'm hesitant to use say an acrylic base stand and blu-tak, as the blu-tak oils could damage the tooth. So I was just curious if anyone else had a solution or knew where something suitable would be sold?

Edited by Captain Jack

Yeah I considered those, they're not bad, but I was hoping to find a solution whereby the specimen wasn't encased in anything, because I'd like to have it on display and for people to be able to touch if they want (though carefully, don't want anyone wearing down my serrations;)), so I was really just hoping for something that could mold around the base of an item to give it support, but maybe nothing like this exists. Is there a safe form of blu-tak to use on fossils perhaps?

...Is there a safe form of blu-tak to use on fossils perhaps?

Google "museum wax".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Why use any adhesive? Make a plexiglass stand with a couple of brass fine wire hold-downs.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Google "museum wax".

I have been using this since I asked something similar and you mentioned it.

It does a pretty good job. It should be easy enough to clean off later also.

Robert
Southeast, MO

The only time I have seen teeth displayed in this way and they still looked good was when a friend showed me some small brass stands that he had (no idea where he got them) they were made out of wire about 3mm thick and had 3 legs and 3 uprights of the same size so you were free to adjust the position of the tooth in it.

Some teeth displayed a lot better than others.

As a really cheap temporary solution I have used slices of copper tube (plumbing) and just fiddled with them until the tooth sat straight.

You can get plexiglass containers of all sizes and shapes from a store-fixtures store. I use the short cylinders, from an inch in diameter to 6 inches or so, as supports for objects on display at the museum. Usually requires cutting a couple of small divots out of the rim so the object sits securely.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks all, some food for thought here. The museum wax from googling it comes off a little too liquid for my taste, as in I read some review that it can stain wood so am not sure if that is suitable, but the putty would seem to do the trick, though maybe it doesn't look too flash to have a white blob on the base. I guess ultimately I might have to construct some stand of my own here with wire as a DIY project.