Huge Cone

Rockwood

I recently read about a Middle Ordovician endoceratoid having a shell that reached a length of 9 to 10 m ! It would seem like something even close to that would make a spectacular museum exhibit but I don't recall ever seeing one. Have I missed something or is there perhaps a reason for the lack ?

Yeah, I’ve seen them mentioned in various places too. For example Rhona Black mentions endoceratoids from the Lower Ordovician – Silurian up to 9 metres in “Elements of Palaeontology”. But I’ve never seen those references accompanied by pictures… or even a specific location where such specimens have been found and I've never seen anything like that size in a museum.

I wonder if the size has been determined by extrapolation from fragmentary specimens… and if so, where?

I have however seen this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinocochlea

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

From Wikipedia; Endocerida: "... Some long-shelled forms like Endoceras attained lengths as much as 3.5 metres (11 ft). The related Cameroceras is anecdotally reported to have reached lengths approaching 9 metres (30 ft), but these claims are not unproblematic (Teichert and Kümmel 1960). The overwhelming majority of endocerids and nautiloids in general are much smaller, usually less than a meter long fully grown..."

From Wikipedia; Cameroceras: "...The partial shell of one giant Cameroceras yielded a total length estimated at the time at nearly 30 feet (9 m). This estimate has since been revised downward quite a bit; Frey (1995) gives a length of up to 6 m...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a piece of endoceras that I found this past fall. It's from the Gelena formation, which makes it Ord. in age. You don't see them much bigger than this. I'm sure this critter was several meters in length.

post-2411-0-00974100-1360457646_thumb.jpg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I think it is worth posting the picture of Dinochochlea. what a cool trace fossil. Reminds me of the Devil's Corkscrews from the Badlands...

220px-DinocochleaModel.jpg

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Here's a piece of endoceras that I found this past fall. It's from the Gelena formation, which makes it Ord. in age. You don't see them much bigger than this. I'm sure this critter was several meters in length.

post-2411-0-00974100-1360457646_thumb.jpg

Nice find ! I bet you have to remind yourself that most people can't see the rest of it. I know would.

Did anyone notice that the Dinochochlea is next to a storage rack and not a display case ? 'I tell ya Rich, the inverts. they get no respect.'