Through Mud, Water, And Snow!

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Yep just got back, I managed to get into the construction site. I was among mountains and mountains of rock and fossils, the trouble was getting there.... I went directly from work so I had no equipment and I was poorly dressed for the hunt. It was -1 degrees Celsius, and as I made my way to the site I walked in 6 inches of mud, then through a river of melted snow... oh did i mention it was like a blizzard out there! I quickly went to hunting, loads and loads of fossils... 99.9% of them unidentifiable or trapped on rocks which weighed 500 or more pounds. I set out this time with some experience, looking for specimens which were of a higher quality or were identifiable. I spent about an hour and a half there until the snow worsened and I had to leave due to lack of visibility.

My finds were:

An intact antique bottle

Calimites:

2 small pieces with 3 sections each.

A tiny bark impression with 15 sections.

A quite nice of Calamites with 22 sections.

Other:

Various bark material one piece being about 2 feet long and 6 inches wide.

An interesting rock with weird swirls, picked it up because it was interesting.

I left one EXCELLENT specimen on site, it is a species I do not have yet and I am going back there with some help to load it onto a tuck, this will be next week..

Over all a great hunt!

Sorry for your hardships, Nicholas! :o

Lots of Canadians and other snowbirds are coming south, and there're still some rooms at the local motels. It's perfect weather here, in the 70's F. during the day and 50's and 60's F. at night. This is the dry season, so the rivers and streams are gin-clear -- you can snorkel and see the mastodon teeth on the bottom, twenty feet (six meters, or so) below. Water from the springs is at a steady 71 degrees F, so the rivers stay comfortable.

Y'all come! Bring those nawth'en dollars! :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Show us your antique bottle, Nicholas.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest Nicholas
Sorry for your hardships, Nicholas! :o

Lots of Canadians and other snowbirds are coming south, and there're still some rooms at the local motels. It's perfect weather here, in the 70's F. during the day and 50's and 60's F. at night. This is the dry season, so the rivers and streams are gin-clear -- you can snorkel and see the mastodon teeth on the bottom, twenty feet (six meters, or so) below. Water from the springs is at a steady 71 degrees F, so the rivers stay comfortable.

Y'all come! Bring those nawth'en dollars! :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Show us your antique bottle, Nicholas.

Hardships came with Joy my friend! :)

I don't have the camera currently but I'll take a picture soon. It looks to be a "Stubby" in shape and size however it is clear, so I assume maybe a medicine bottle. It will be added to my small collection of vintage 7 up, and other small medicine bottles.

Way to go Nick!

Glad to hear you found some nice Calamites :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Well heres some pictures, not all of my finds because my camera died. Some of the pictures are blurry, mainly because it is freezing outside... :P Also the Calamites with the many sections, you'll know what I mean, is MUCH MUCH more impressive on other side... picture of that coming soon.

post-163-1225745641_thumb.jpg

post-163-1225745655_thumb.jpg

post-163-1225745689_thumb.jpg

It was orange... I had to have it!

post-163-1225745719_thumb.jpg

post-163-1225745738_thumb.jpg

post-163-1225745758_thumb.jpg

post-163-1225745784_thumb.jpg

Now other finds:

Interesting rock with swirls...

post-163-1225745822_thumb.jpg

post-163-1225745838_thumb.jpg

Bottle:

post-163-1225745858_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

I sure like the calamites with all the sections to it. Nice. Sure glad you are finding things. Too bad they will all be covered with snow soon.

Guest Nicholas
I sure like the calamites with all the sections to it. Nice. Sure glad you are finding things. Too bad they will all be covered with snow soon.

That picture doesn't do it justice, to me it is one of my best specimens, I'm going to try my best to prep it. It has 22 segments! :D

Congratulations, you hit the jackpot!

(When are you going back?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest Nicholas
Congratulations, you hit the jackpot!

(When are you going back?)

Next weekend the weather is supposed to briefly look up so I'm heading back... bringing the camera this time. I still have a few spoil piles to hit and hopefully some heavy machinery will move some stuff around making more of the site accessible...(spread out rather than in condensed rock hills.) I'll get some shots of the site, some fossils I can't take home, and some of me going like this... :D

Yep just got back, I managed to get into the construction site. I was among mountains and mountains of rock and fossils, the trouble was getting there.... I went directly from work so I had no equipment and I was poorly dressed for the hunt. It was -1 degrees Celsius, and as I made my way to the site I walked in 6 inches of mud, then through a river of melted snow... oh did i mention it was like a blizzard out there! I quickly went to hunting, loads and loads of fossils... 99.9% of them unidentifiable or trapped on rocks which weighed 500 or more pounds. I set out this time with some experience, looking for specimens which were of a higher quality or were identifiable. I spent about an hour and a half there until the snow worsened and I had to leave due to lack of visibility.

My finds were:

An intact antique bottle

Calimites:

2 small pieces with 3 sections each.

A tiny bark impression with 15 sections.

A quite nice of Calamites with 22 sections.

Other:

Various bark material one piece being about 2 feet long and 6 inches wide.

An interesting rock with weird swirls, picked it up because it was interesting.

I left one EXCELLENT specimen on site, it is a species I do not have yet and I am going back there with some help to load it onto a tuck, this will be next week..

Over all a great hunt!

i may be in texas but you keep talking , and i will be on the way lol, sounds like a fun time snow blizzard mud rocks . yes i wanna go. glad ya found a good place.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

How about a Forum trip next year?!

I'd love to take you guys out, but let me find a non temporary site first :P

I guess I didn't get that this is a temporary site. How much salvage are you going to be able to do?

(I'm serious about coming up there when the weather allows next spring; been wanting to backpack CBI for quite a while).

Guest Nicholas
I guess I didn't get that this is a temporary site. How much salvage are you going to be able to do?

(I'm serious about coming up there when the weather allows next spring; been wanting to backpack CBI for quite a while).

Just a couple more weeks, all these fossils are from a huge construction undertaking on the near outskirts of my town. They are building a new water treatment plant, and there was much digging... and much scrap rock which has been distributed all over town.. 50% of the stuff has already been put into the ocean as armor stones... so that's why I've been taking fossils of even a sub quality grade.. just to preserve some history of my locality.. essentially my town.

However I've heard rumor of some sea cliff sites near me... I've checked some already but I'm all for checking again... even if I have to travel the whole coast line of my island. :P

Guest Nicholas

BTW: my interesting rock I've never seen anything like it before aside from this site... anything anyone can say about it besides being a rock?

BTW: my interesting rock I've never seen anything like it before aside from this site... anything anyone can say about it besides being a rock?

Hard to tell from the pic, but if it's coarse sandstone, it is similar to stuff I have seen from my treefern sites in northern Pennsylvania. They are built-up in alternating layers, and I took them to be concretions from river deposited sand.

• 1 month later...

gramps dino and I were going to go out today. Checked the weather last night, all looked good, got up at 5:45 and checked the weather again and they were calling for a chance of snow. Called Grampa and called it off, went back to bed, when I got back up we had 4 inches of snow!!!! Now we have about 8", looks like thats it for fossiling for a while :(

Here is a better pic of the Calamites I found on this trip, it is the best one I have to date.

Hey Nick, you should re-post this in a thread where Doc and Roman can find it easily :)

Here is a better pic of the Calamites I found on this trip, it is the best one I have to date.

Front, and back side shown:

post-163-1228687759_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Bruno and Roman would love them.