Is This A Carcharocles Auriculatus Tooth?

Harry Pristis

I've labeled this C. auriculatus, though some serious taxonomists suggest since 1990 that these teeth from Florida limestones are actually Carcharocles sokolowi. What do you think?

-----Harry Pristis

post-42-1196469997_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I would go with Carcharocles sokolovi, Carcharocles auriculatus was middle Eocene while sokolovi was late Eocene to early Oligocene. Unless you are not sure of the age then it is harder to tell but I would still go with sokolovi.

• I found this Informative 1

After reading the characteristics of each on elasmo.com, I tend to think this would fall under C. sokolowi. The age and the seemingly consistent serrations along the whole blade is how I'm judging this. True auriculatus serrations get smaller the closer to the tip you get. Also, the cusps on yours Harry seem to also be fairly regularly serrated, not the coarse, irregular ones found on auriculatus. The problem now would be to get people to believe you as all the teeth similar to this I've seen are lumped under the auriculatus banner. I can't say as I've ever seen a tooth described as a C. sokolowi.

post-77-1196472544_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Oh, my! It seems that I will have to reorganize my thinking as well as some labels. Somehow, "sokolowi" just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as "auriculatus." I suppose it will become more familiar with time and use. The taxonomist "splitters" win again! :huh:

------Harry Pristis

post-42-1196621821_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest