Poison Ivy

Evans

i'm starting to think (fossil comment) i'm going to put giant TMI's in all my posts, just to remind everyone this isn't the grossout forum. hey, least you didn't pee on an electrified fence.

you know, speaking of those fences (fossil comment) one time i was out at night in the quasi wilderness doing something that isn't to be discussed and isn't relevant to the point that i'm going to make if i ever quit talking in circles, and i walked into an electrified fence that the thoughtful persons who'd emplaced it had wired with not one, but TWO transformers, to make sure the jolt was adequate for their purposes.

The only thing good about this event is that i didn't flip over the thing and hang on it. it got me about mid-thighs or so. please bear in mind that it was very dark, and i had no idea what had happened to me when it happened, at least for a brief period of time in which i probably surmised that the world's largest rattlesnake had bitten me in both legs or something.

i really feel that this and other such experiences are responsible for the way i am now. i'm stopping now, but i'm not leaving the forum, so watch out...

...it got me about mid-thighs or so....

Sounds like you caught a bit of luck; coulda' been worse... :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ya, I apologise if my post was a tad on the graphic side - I basically put that in there so that people could see what I've gone through, and what I have to do in order to successfully avoid poison oak (and to let people know how bad it can get - although, I've been fairly tame in my description, and luckily for the reader, have not divulged the worst of it).

The way poison oak works is really fascinating actually, and since I used to think that most animals suffer that reaction, I hated poison oak as a species, and wished it to extinction. However, I found out that no other vertebrates (even other primates) suffer any sort of a reaction due to contact, and that it is more or less a freak reaction by our immune system. The immune system identifies the urushiol molecules (which are a type of benzene ring - benzene is a hydrocarbon, or type of oil) as a virus, for some reason. Then, the immune system uses T-cells to systematically destroy all tissue where the molecules have been identified; the rash (or gigantic open sore in my case) is basically caused by your body destroying itself.

Oddly enough, the better someone's immune system is, oftentimes the more severe of a reaction they get. In my case, I have a ridiculously strong immune system - I only get 1 cold per year, and it usually lasts 20-ish hours; haven't caught the flu in 7 years, and I had my first fever in about 6 years about a month ago.

Bobby

Oddly enough, the better someone's immune system is, oftentimes the more severe of a reaction they get. In my case, I have a ridiculously strong immune system - I only get 1 cold per year, and it usually lasts 20-ish hours; haven't caught the flu in 7 years, and I had my first fever in about 6 years about a month ago.

Bobby

The hidden uses of adversity. (Steep price to pay, though).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 weeks later...

I always wash off with bleach when I have came in contact with poison ivy. I've hunted ginseng since I was a teen and that has always kept me from getting it. Also jewel weed as mentioned above. I like to put jewel weed in a blender and purate it and then mix it with vaseline and apply like an ointment. The oils from the plant can stay on clothing for up to a year(so I'm told) but I do know my wife has caught it from washing my clothes after hunting trips

OK, a few tips from someone who is hypersensitive to poison oak (a very, very small percentage of human beings) on how to avoid it breaking out:

1). NEVER, EVER (I cannot stress this enough) EVER take a bath, or a hot shower to clean it off. NEVER. It opens up your pores and lets the oil into your skin. If you take a bath, even a cold bath, the poison oak oil spreads to the rest of your body - this can make the rash appear over your entire body.

2). Instead, take an ice cold shower, and use DISH soap - you get the rash from the poison oak/ivy oil; a soap that cuts grease well will do the trick. Systematically wash exposed areas (i.e. arms/legs if you wore shorts/t shirt) first.

3). Learn to identify it in the field, by the various shapes of the leaves, including the vines during the winter; the wood of poison oak has just as much (if not more) oil than the leaves, and touching a branch/vine of it is just as bad, and much easier due to the difficulty in identifying it. And, of course, avoid it like the plague.

4). If you know you've touched it with your hand, wash them! Bring soap with you into the field and wash your hands in a stream. Also, if you know the plant has touched your clothes, don't let ANYTHING (object, hand, or otherwise) touch that article of clothing, because then you will either have it on your hands or on a tool, and you will spread it to everything you touch.

5). ALWAYS wash your hands BEFORE you take a leak. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Trust me, I learned this the VERY, VERY, VERY hard and PAINFUL way in middle school.

6). If you are really sensitive (like I am), be very vigilant, if not downright paranoid about it. In some areas, I just avoid everything green in general, unless I can identify it as not poison oak by its leaves.

Lastly, as far as treatments, the only thing that works for me is to use Diprolene, a doctor prescribed steroid cream. You use it as soon as a rash appears, and it takes out the rash within 4-8 hours. After the complete rash appears, there is not much you can do. The rash usually shows up within 24 hours; after 24-28 hours, and nothing shows up, you can stop worrying about it.

In my case, my skin will show the rash, and then little bubbles will appear; these bubbles will grow, and the rash will expand outwards anywhere from a few mm to 2-3cm; the bubbles will grow in size and fill with pus until they reach ~5mm wide. Often they break as the membrane thins during expansion, and the rash turns more into a large scab, and the pus hardens to a yellow crust, which becomes extremely painful, in addition to the pain of the rash itself.

The extreme form of dermatitis I experience when exposed to poison oak is why I am so paranoid and vigilant about avoiding the heck out of it; often it is hard not to panic if I even imagine that I have touched a leaf or branch of it.

Also, don't burn poison oak ever; the smoke gets the urushiol oil into your lungs; it is extremely dangerous to get dermatitis in your lungs, and it sometimes results in death.

This guy knows what he's talking about. I am hypersensitive to Toxicodendron radicans too and I've tried everything at least once and usually several times. Unfortunately, I have never found a cure-all or anything that didn't include weeks of recovering from the contact dermatitis. Always use cool water when washing and don't shower unless you really really need to. NEVER use hot water! Never cover up your rash; let it breathe if at all possible. I've found that witch hazel provides some relief from the itching and may help reduce the swelling. Calamine lotion will help dry it out and provide temporary relief from the itching, which is particularly useful at night when you're trying to sleep. The best stuff is a prescription-strength topical such as Clobetasol Propionate cream (0.05%), it will reduce swelling and itching within an hour of applying it. If you do go that route, use it sparingly and guard the rest of the tube with your life so you can use it the next time Toxicodendron strikes!

Wash your clothes right after getting back from the woods or creeks, then take a cool shower and use lots of soap. Wash your hands with cool water after untying and taking off your boots.

When outdoors, never rub your face or wipe your brow with your hands! Use your shirt sleeves or your sholder/upper arm. If you follow these simple suggestions you shouldn't get the rash on your face.

Learn to recognize those three shiny leaves, as a vine, groundcover, or even as a bush! Expect to see poison ivy in and around any wetland situation and actively avoid it!

Good luck!

There is some very good advice on here.

Only use the hot water treatment after you're sure that you've cleaned the oils from your skin. As a treatment, it won't dry it out, but it does stop the itching for 8 hours. When exposed to hot water, you're body releases histamines causing intense itching during the treatment. After about 30 seconds, the itching stops, and it lasts for about 8 hours. The biggest problem that I have with this treatment is you can't expose certain places effectively in hot water because either those locations are too sensitive or too difficult to access. But, it does work. Also, Benedryl cream or gel works pretty well on poison ivy and also mosquito bites.

The most effective way to avoid exposure is to clean the oils off, as stated above, and avoid contact with the plant or vine.

And, as stated earlier, the oils remain in the clothing. Don't think either that if you use cloth gloves, for example, that you're protected. If you grab a poison ivy vine, the oils will seep through the gloves and on to your skin, even if your bare skin never contacts the vine. I made that mistake once when clearing a vine away from a great tree stand spot. It was winter, no leaves, and I just hacked away at that vine and used my glove covered hands to pull it away...I had a pretty severe reaction on my wrist, hands, neck and face as a result of oil transfer. One other note when there are no leaves around, not all hairy vines are poison ivy, but poison ivy vines are always hairy. That said, ground cover poison ivy IMO is the toughest to identify, so in cold weather months, avoid as much contact as possible with any suspect plants.

Kevin Wilson

OK, a few tips from someone who is hypersensitive to poison oak (a very, very small percentage of human beings) on how to avoid it breaking out:

1). NEVER, EVER (I cannot stress this enough) EVER take a bath, or a hot shower to clean it off. NEVER. It opens up your pores and lets the oil into your skin. If you take a bath, even a cold bath, the poison oak oil spreads to the rest of your body - this can make the rash appear over your entire body.

2). Instead, take an ice cold shower, and use DISH soap - you get the rash from the poison oak/ivy oil; a soap that cuts grease well will do the trick. Systematically wash exposed areas (i.e. arms/legs if you wore shorts/t shirt) first.

3). Learn to identify it in the field, by the various shapes of the leaves, including the vines during the winter; the wood of poison oak has just as much (if not more) oil than the leaves, and touching a branch/vine of it is just as bad, and much easier due to the difficulty in identifying it. And, of course, avoid it like the plague.

4). If you know you've touched it with your hand, wash them! Bring soap with you into the field and wash your hands in a stream. Also, if you know the plant has touched your clothes, don't let ANYTHING (object, hand, or otherwise) touch that article of clothing, because then you will either have it on your hands or on a tool, and you will spread it to everything you touch.

5). ALWAYS wash your hands BEFORE you take a leak. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Trust me, I learned this the VERY, VERY, VERY hard and PAINFUL way in middle school.

6). If you are really sensitive (like I am), be very vigilant, if not downright paranoid about it. In some areas, I just avoid everything green in general, unless I can identify it as not poison oak by its leaves.

Lastly, as far as treatments, the only thing that works for me is to use Diprolene, a doctor prescribed steroid cream. You use it as soon as a rash appears, and it takes out the rash within 4-8 hours. After the complete rash appears, there is not much you can do. The rash usually shows up within 24 hours; after 24-28 hours, and nothing shows up, you can stop worrying about it.

In my case, my skin will show the rash, and then little bubbles will appear; these bubbles will grow, and the rash will expand outwards anywhere from a few mm to 2-3cm; the bubbles will grow in size and fill with pus until they reach ~5mm wide. Often they break as the membrane thins during expansion, and the rash turns more into a large scab, and the pus hardens to a yellow crust, which becomes extremely painful, in addition to the pain of the rash itself.

The extreme form of dermatitis I experience when exposed to poison oak is why I am so paranoid and vigilant about avoiding the heck out of it; often it is hard not to panic if I even imagine that I have touched a leaf or branch of it.

Also, don't burn poison oak ever; the smoke gets the urushiol oil into your lungs; it is extremely dangerous to get dermatitis in your lungs, and it sometimes results in death.

I agree with all of this especially the never wash with hot water. When i was a child i used to get poison ivy alot from playing in the woods, poison summac once which was actually kinda cool because i had large leaf shape welts on my back in the exact shape of the leaves. But anyways my friend and myself were playing army when i was like twelve and we dug a fox hole so deep we couldn't clib out of it. So i stepped up on his hands and he threw me out face first in a bunch of poison ivy. A few days later my eyes swelled shut my whole face was a blister and them my throat started to swell shut, needless to say a trip to the hospital was in order. I can't remember what all they gave me but i do remember having to take cold baths for like the next three weeks until it cleared up becasue the doc said warm water opens the pours and spreads it even more.

• 3 months later...

As a kid, a family friend taught my mother a good remedy. I would get horrible Poison Ivy reactions. We used "Fels-Naptha" soap. Take a bar of it into the shower or bath, and rub the itchy spots and it dries them up. It is in the detergent section of the grocery store. It's a bar of detergent soap that people use to scrub their floors with. Also, it is great for giving white people dreadlocks. Wash your hair with it for a week, adn dread your hair up. (I used to be far more wierd, and sported a dreadlock caveman look)

I get poison ivy every year, sometimes worse than others. Yes, I know what it looks like, but like somebody already said, all the good fossils/arrowheads/morel mushrooms are surrounded by poison ivy. I can tell you from experience that you do not want it in your eyes or on your tender vittles!

If you've got it really bad or in a really bad spot, a good shot of cortizone in the tush will make it go away in 10-12 hours. You'll have to go to the doctor, and the stuff is so thick you feel like you're having clay injected, but if the rash is bad enough it is well worth it. You can only do this safely twice a year, large doses of steroids are not good for you, so save it for the bad ones.

Despite the wives tales to the contrary, you CANNOT spread poison ivy by contact with the puss once the oil is gone. So, if it pops up in other spots you have oil on some other surface like your shoelaces.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

the last time i got it, it went systemic on me, so i'm beyond careful now. i even send the food back at a restaurant if it has parsley on it.

Find some Cedar Creek Anti Poison Ivy Soap. It's a castile soap made with jewelweed (and oils of peppermint & rosemary), and comes in a round tin about the size of a hockey puck. Used early, it can prevent the reaction, and even if you're too late, it can be very palliative. Remember that your shoes, clothes, and tools can/will re-expose you if you don't clean them thoroughly!

Bobby is right about the COLD water and washing with a detergent, an effective grease/oil remover (Dawn liquid soap works very well). You need something that will break up the oil quickly. Also, if you do not wash it off after being exposed within 15 to 20 minutes (sometimes sooner), the oil will begin to be absorbed into the skin, beginning the reaction. If you wash it off shortly after this you will minimize your reaction. However, it is better to wash it off later rather than never, as everyone has explained you can spread the oil to other parts of your body, tools, clothing, bedding, etc. Also, some people are so allergic to it (like me) that all they have to do is be nearby when someone breaks the leaves or branches and get a reaction. When broken, the plant can sort of spray the minute particles of oil into the air and be carried until deposited on the ground or *ME*. The medical side of me would like to point out that Poison Ivy does not cause pus. It is serrous fluid (clear to clear yellow) that fills the blisters, caused by things like dermatitis or friction. If the blister is popped, the body will continue to produce the fluid, which causes it to "ooze". Pus is an infection in the body that can be an opaque white, yellow, or green - bacteria has to have gotten under the skin, which can happen if you scratch the blisters open (so DON'T scratch!!!). Because I am soo allergic to this stuff, I avoid going near areas with lots of plants as much as possible. You may know what the plant looks like, but it is a vine and will cling to the underside of bushes and trees. I learned that the hard way last year while doing yard work. The only thing that helps me get over an exposure is a steroid shot in the butt and oral benadryl, which knocks me out until I recover! Oh, and to clear something up, once you wash off the oils and no longer come in contact with the oils, the rash CANNOT be spread to other parts of your body or other people. It does give that appearance though, because if you have a rash and more spots keep appearing, it's because the newer rashes are from the last or most recent exposures to the oil. On the other hand, you may still be coming in contact with something that still has plant oils on it, so rack your brain to make sure EVERYTHING has been decontaminated.

Oh, sorry. And as far as a remedy, try making a paste with some oatmeal from your kitchen cabinet and pack it on the areas. If you have some gauze, wrap it around the areas if possible to hold the oatmeal on, it will be messy and crumbly when it dries. Let the oatmeal dry, rinse it off, and repeat as needed until your rashes are feeling better. Oatmeal is good for drying that stuff up. Don't bother spending money on Aveeno (alough their stuff is good). Plain old oatmeal works just as well. Good Luck and get well soon. I know how bad it sucks!!! Sounds like alot of us do!

I get it almost every year and sometimes end up in the hospital with it. The tecnu products are good and does help some. The other remedies can help ease the itching and might if your lucky shorten the duration, but Ive found that a trip to the doctor is the best way to go. Ask for the shot and the cream.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Bummer dude!

I'm still recovering from my Post Oak Creek experience from three weeks ago.

Didn't realize it at the time, but I had a spider bite mixed in with the ivy.

I use Ivy Dry spray and it works pretty well, but I used too much of it and it actually burnt my skin in a couple of spots!

I don't know if it helped the spider bite, but I used vitamin e and fresh aloe, too.

The aloe turned the dead skin black, but then everything started healing up shortly there after.

Hope you find something that works.

O

As I sat around the house this weekend whimpering over a sever case of poison ivy from an impromptu stream-bed excursion this past Tuesday, I tried to find any postings on the subject of treatment for poison ivy and similar ailments and could not find anything. Is there a link I missed?

If not, I would be curious to read some suggestions on different treatments from accepted medical advice to witches brews and snake oils.

Brian

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"