Missouri Bones?

ebrocklds

i got this email from a guy and i cannot help him. here is the email and the pics he sent. i will send him a link to the resposes.

thanks guys.

brock

I found these a couple of weeks ago along the Missouri river. The 1993 flood opened a 2 mile slew through land causing a large sandbar. The bones were within 100 feet of each other. The small bone has us confused. Thanks for any help Regards Wes Willis

2007120112512590.jpg

2007120112516102.jpg

2007120112511138.jpg

2007120112517896.jpg

2007120112514885.jpg

2007120112525611.jpg

2007120112529485.jpg

2007120112522951.jpg

200712011252821.jpg

2007120112523347.jpg

here is one more

I, also, am puzzled by the smallest bone in your images. If there is no trace of an articular facet, anything (within reason) is possible -- the bone has been stream-polished beyond recognition. It is the sand that made up the broad sand-bar -- being exposed from time to time, the bone is eroded by a slow slurry of sand.

The other bones seem easy enough. One is an edentulous bison jaw. The other appears to be the distal portion of a bison radio-ulna.

---------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• New Members

Thanks for the help with the history of these bones. First time I ever found bones from an exstinct animal. I signed up in here, my handle is "CaveMan" Regards Wes

wes,

glad you joined. there are often similar fossils pictured here that others have found. there is some really neat stuff to be found. glad i could help.

brock

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have found a great site. Beware, though ---- Fossil hunting is highly addictive. : )

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I concur with Harry's opinion.

Today was pretty good - the early bird catches the mammoth! I got a glyptodont scute, my first sloth tooth, several horse medial phalanges and teeth, a camelid cervical vert, several as yet unidentified verts, a deer antler base, several large sections of land tortoise shell, a 2/3 complete turtle shell with matrix inside, a 5 colorful 5 inch mammoth tusk fragment, a 6 inch diameter x 13.5 inch x 17 pound section of mammoth tusk, mammoth or sloth humerus or femur head, a horse hoof core, small mastodon or gomphothere tooth fragment, and various odds and ends. The down side was that I had engine trouble 10 miles downstream from my put-in...could have been uglier but I was able to limp back upstream barely bucking the current. I'll give my engine a little love and resume this addictive crusade ASAP.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."