Start Of My Mosquito Expedition

Major

Using the first pic for reference, clockwise from 9 O'Clock:

The piece at 9 O'Clock looks just like most of the marine mammal bone fragments we find in the VA/MD Miocene.

The texture of the piece at noon has a texture that reminds me of delaminated turtle shell.

Ditto @ 2 O'Clock.

No idea about the last one; kinda' indistinct.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Really think 2:00 is just a fragment of turtle shell? Awesome texture, the noon looks like a leopard but 2:00 looks almost like crops!

Turok1copy.png

Really think 2:00 is just a fragment of turtle shell? Awesome texture, the noon looks like a leopard but 2:00 looks almost like crops!

I'm not at all certain about any of them, and the texture (as well as the reverse-side structure) on that one is very strange. I wanted to start the ball rolling with my observations, then sit back and see what others thought.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

*BUMP*

I have plenty more, but I'm not going to post until I get more then one ID on these guys, no offense, Auspex.

Turok1copy.png

Okay, I havent the slightest what any of your stuff is, just thought I chime in to give you support. Come one, someone here must know. :<)

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

ok, now FK, the main problem here is that the coins are all oriented in different directions, so it disorients everyone.

but putting that aside for a moment, your stuff is all fossils, so put them in your room with very nicely printed labels that list the location found, the date, and "UFO". have a relatively large container for them, because you will end up with a great many UFOs over time, and you want to keep similar items together in your collection.

good, that's done. now go out and find any fossil you can that isn't a fragment, and post it here and i'll make up a good story for what it is. just don't post anything that looks like it came from a bear. my eyes are allergic to those images and swell up and bug out and it scares my cat.

ok, now FK, the main problem here is that the coins are all oriented in different directions, so it disorients everyone.

but putting that aside for a moment, your stuff is all fossils, so put them in your room with very nicely printed labels that list the location found, the date, and "UFO". have a relatively large container for them, because you will end up with a great many UFOs over time, and you want to keep similar items together in your collection.

good, that's done. now go out and find any fossil you can that isn't a fragment, and post it here and i'll make up a good story for what it is. just don't post anything that looks like it came from a bear. my eyes are allergic to those images and swell up and bug out and it scares my cat.

Lol and for good reason :)

I'll see what I can find that could be a bit easier to.. identify..

Turok1copy.png

Alright. A few may be identifiable, but not all, certainly.

Here we go:

UFO1:

post-905-1226183769_thumb.jpg

post-905-1226183808_thumb.jpg

post-905-1226183832_thumb.jpg

UFO1, focus on track-like lines:

post-905-1226183853_thumb.jpg

UFO2:

post-905-1226183893_thumb.jpg

Turok1copy.png

i'm guessing they're all pieces of a dolphin because i think you're doing this to me on porpoise.

:faint:

...maybe..

UFO5, Cont:

post-905-1226184306_thumb.jpg

UFO6:

post-905-1226184345_thumb.jpg

post-905-1226184371_thumb.jpg

UFO7:

post-905-1226184393_thumb.jpg

post-905-1226184414_thumb.jpg

post-905-1226184439_thumb.jpg

End of this wave.

Turok1copy.png

ok your tiny fossils around the penny the majority of those are shrimp claws as for the rest i have no idea

UFO2 includes a number of crab claw tips. #s 3, 4, & 5 look like bone fragments (probably unidentifiable as to critter). The others:???

#s 3, 4, & 5 look like bone fragments (probably unidentifiable as to critter). The others:???

I seem to be good at finding those.

A Lot of this stuff looks like rock too.

Anson, you of all people should know that if you find it in a florida creek, unless it's a collection of shells cemented together or limestone it's more than likely a fossil of some sort, or bone/shell. Then again, I don't live in northern gainesville so I suppose it could be different lol

Turok1copy.png

Anson, you of all people should know that if you find it in a florida creek,...it's more than likely a fossil of some sort...

:rofl:

UFO 4 is probably a chunk of a turtle plastron(belly armor). If the outside surface is smooth around the 90Degree edge. I think its from the area between the front and back legs.

Dan

UFO 4 is probably a chunk of a turtle plastron(belly armor). If the outside surface is smooth around the 90Degree edge. I think its from the area between the front and back legs.

Dan

It also looks like a process broken off of a marine mammal vert.

It also looks like a process broken off of a marine mammal vert.

Such as a sea cow or prehistoric creature, but ruling out anything smaller than a otter, more than likely, from it's size.

Turok1copy.png

UFO2 includes a number of crab claw tips. #s 3, 4, & 5 look like bone fragments (probably unidentifiable as to critter). The others:???

Sorry bud gonna have to agree with Anson on this one:

Shrimp claw in the UF natural history museum

Dan

Hmm turtle plastron? Seems a bit large, are they really that thick?

Turok1copy.png

UFO2, Cont:

Warning, Large file:

post-905-1226183986_thumb.jpg

UFO3:

post-905-1226184022_thumb.jpg

Looks like crab claws at 9 and 2 at first glance B) But Anson is most likely right given the size.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Post up something thats not broken. Its hard to identify fragments.

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, build a house! This will strongly improve your perdicament."