Trilobite Tracks?

WyomingRocks!

I also found this on my last trip to Oklahoma and it came from a Mississippian formation (do not know its exact name). I have found several trilobites there but they always fall apart on me as it is a type of claystone. There is a thin layer of shale at the top and I found this in that spot.

Are these trilobite tracks and could the dimple areas be a resting spot? I think they are but I don't know a lot. There are two different trails with the one on the left being larger.

Thanks, Stephen

post-6211-0-55464100-1362350309_thumb.jpg

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Not sure but it is cool. Do I count 4 "trackways" on that piece. 2 on the lower left and 2 on the upper right. :popcorn:

That track form is surely from an arthropod, but it doesn't conform to what are supposed to be trilobite tracks. Possibly way cooler.

• Enjoyed 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

similar to the limulid (horseshoe crab) trackways found at the Pennsylvanian Minkin Site in Cordova,Alabama, especially the V-shaped tracks in the upper right; nice find, any more??

• Thank You 1

They certainly seem to be tracks of some sort, great definition, but they do not seem close enough to be trilobites. Even a trilobite up on its legs going full tilt at a walk or striding would be packed in a lot tighter and there would be a lot more marks. These seem to come from a creature with fewer appendages. I would second a horshoe crab or analog. The top right triangular ones almost look like the impression of something sweeiping out and back, possibly a small bony fish scavenging/browsing the seabed, using its fins to move along. Whatever it is, its got great detail!

• Thank You 1

similar to the limulid (horseshoe crab) trackways found at the Pennsylvanian Minkin Site in Cordova,Alabama, especially the V-shaped tracks in the upper right; nice find, any more??

Actually, the last time I was there I found a couple more pieces that have tracks on them. The tracks were virtually the same but one was a little wider therefore a larger animal I guess. I left it at my dads house so I do not have it on me right now.

Edited by WyomingRocks!

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

They certainly seem to be tracks of some sort, great definition, but they do not seem close enough to be trilobites. Even a trilobite up on its legs going full tilt at a walk or striding would be packed in a lot tighter and there would be a lot more marks. These seem to come from a creature with fewer appendages. I would second a horshoe crab or analog. The top right triangular ones almost look like the impression of something sweeiping out and back, possibly a small bony fish scavenging/browsing the seabed, using its fins to move along. Whatever it is, its got great detail!

Yeah, I was amazed when I found it and thought it was the best thing I found that day. When I get back there I hope that I can find some more specimens.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen