Good Sites To Find Shark Teeth In Sc?

beach hunter

Could people please list some places that are worth visiting in SC? I go to one place by me but I'm thinking about trying other locations in SC because they would probably be better than the one I go to. Thanks!

Edisto River when the levels are low enough to float and hunt. Look at the SC thread. Summerville creeks can yield nice finds. The quarries if you know the right people (I don't). Myrtle Beach Beaches.

I had a very fun day in Summerville in January. But do not get caught with a shovel or screen or screwdriver or anything in town, just walk quietly and pick stuff up.

• 1 month later...

Good sites are hard to find. I have found the rivers and creeks to be the best sites, because the water removes the overburden and cuts into the fossil layer. I have hunted one of the quarries and some land sites and I found that you have to move TONS of material to weed out one measly sharks tooth. Although, I have seen large pristine Megs come from land sites around Charleston. The key here is knowing what type soil to look for and getting permission to hunt the land. The key in the creeks and rivers is looking for gravel beds. Construction sites also produce excellent teeth. My personal preference is hunting the water because you can use the water to do much of the work.

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Beach Hunter,

Good sites are a lot easier to find from a boat than prospecting for land sites, in my opinion. I'm not sure what part of SC you're from, but there are pretty extensive dredge operations along the intercoastal waterway and in high-traffic rivers/ports (Savannah, Charleston, Georgetown). These deposits are usually in the form of of smaller basin-shaped islands with lighter material inside a high, wooded bluff...easily spotted from google earth or from the water. Generally speaking, the deposits closer to deeper water are more productive.

If you're in or near Mt. Pleasant (Charleston) sometime, I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

Take a look at my topic "Dredge Spoiled" in the members collections section to see some recent dredge spoil finds.

Happy hunting,

Cade aka CBK

Edited by Sharks of SC
  • I found this Informative 1