Bird Vert, Tarso And Long Bones?

kauffy

Ok well here are some nice bird bones from Pleistocene fissure material. I just want a conformation, and if possible an identification on the bones? Im almost 100% sure that the largest bone is owl, after some comparisons between owl, hawk, duck, comorant and a large heron owl is definantly the best fit. As for the others? i have no clue?

Any help would be really appriciated! CHEERS! :D

post-142-1225966713_thumb.jpg

post-142-1225966729_thumb.jpg

post-142-1225966752_thumb.jpg

post-142-1225966767_thumb.jpg

post-142-1225966781_thumb.jpg

post-142-1225966795_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

^^ yes it is late and i cannot spell......... :rolleyes:

I started with the tarsometatarsus, because diagnosis (at least to family) is easier.

In form, it most closely resembles Turkey Vulture, but I'm making a large assumption as to its size. If it is much smaller than 12 mm at its max width, I'll have to re-think it.

I'll address the others as I have a chance :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
I started with the tarsometatarsus, because diagnosis (at least to family) is easier.

In form, it most closely resembles Turkey Vulture, but I'm making a large assumption as to its size. If it is much smaller than 12 mm at its max width, I'll have to re-think it.

I think you stumped the bird man!

I think you stumped the bird man!

No challenge in that! Sometimes, I even stump myself (but it won't keep me from trying...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Woah im confused, the small tarso is tiny, the last two pictures are close ups of the small one 2nd from the left... when you say tarso do you mean the far left one? that would fit your size of 12mm but i wasnt sure if it was a tarsometatarsus because it is worn and broken? just need some clarification!

Thanks a lot Auspex!

Woah im confused, the small tarso is tiny, the last two pictures are close ups of the small one 2nd from the left... when you say tarso do you mean the far left one? that would fit your size of 12mm but i wasnt sure if it was a tarsometatarsus because it is worn and broken? just need some clarification!

Thanks a lot Auspex!

I didn't realize that pics 5 & 6 were close ups of the tiny bone in the first pics; time to re-think...