Anyone Know What This Is

swiftyzilla

a) it does look like a camarasur tooth. And a nice one at that. Not the kind of thing generally found in one's house. Sorry Daryl, but don't let me stop you from excavating the kids' bedrooms.

B) yes the specimen number indeed makes it suspect. I can't think of any fossil museums with the initials pp, except the Pink Palace, and that is in Tennessee, I think. I wonder if it was from someone's personal collection. Did a fossil collector with the initials pp own the house before you did? (All my fossils have a jpc number on them, just like this thing).

c) I'd be careful of selling it. Mainly because it just might belong to someone else.

d) how heavy is it? That is usually a good clue as to whether it is real or a cast. Of course, that might be tough to tell if you are not experienced at these things. What sort of sound does it make if you tap it gently to your front teet? Compare that to another rock and another piece of hard plastic. That can also clue you in to its genuinety.

Nice find, in any case.

Maybe, maybe not...

I have seen plenty of fossils accessioned from private collections that are labeled in a similar fashion. Many amateur collectors are well versed in the practice.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was stolen, just saying that it is suspicious and if I were a dealer I would be leery of buying it.

The pp could mean anything. Some of our specimens were marked with red circles, green dots, and orange triangles to identify the locality of collection. Of course the collector failed to provide a legend for these marks...

"Some of our specimens were marked with red circles, green dots, and orange triangles to identify the locality of collection. Of course the collector failed to provide a legend for these marks......."

That sounds like a certain dinosaur collection............

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Found a dinosaur fossil inside your own home. That's new!!

My first thought would be that it is a replica, a tooth like that if it were real would be very rare and valuable- not something that just ends up lying around the house as others have said.

But if it's in your house, how didn't you know about it? Who's would it be? I'm confused :blink:

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

That is a great Camarasaurus tooth and it will be even better if it aint a replica.

But as Paleoworld said.... "But if it's in your house, how didn't you know about it? Who's would it be? I'm confused"

Look forward to hearing what a professional has to say about it.

I'd be interested in a more complete story of it's "finding" - was this behind a wall that was demolished?

Was it found with other things/or alone,... in a hidden part of a closet, basement, or attic?

Did you recently purchase this house?

Something here doesn't quite make sense. :unsure:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

OP poster strangely silent for the last week........

I agree with everyone it has the basic shape of a Camarasaurus tooth however the crown is too spoon shape and blunt. Something does not ring right with this tooth. Not sure if it just weathered, incorrectly repaired or a fake or a different species. All my teeth tend to be a bit more leaf shape with a slight center ridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Last signed-in Mar 13, 2013, 06:15 PM, but I don't think he got quite what he came for...

"hmm guess Itll remain a mystery..."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Last signed-in Mar 13, 2013, 06:15 PM, but I don't think he got quite what he came for...

"hmm guess Itll remain a mystery..."

Actually i think he did get what he came for- he knows it is a Camarasaurus tooth and he knows it is valuable. That's all he wanted to know, the rest (how he found it lying around his house) he probably doesn't want us to know.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

How he came by it is what concerns me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I have the same suspicion, Auspex.

Edited by RichW9090

Looks like it made it to craigslist.

The mystery takes another twist, one of you guys should text to see the pictures.

What we know is:

'Swifty' found a numbered fossil (or reproduction), came here for an identification, and is now selling it on craigslist.

After that, it's all conjecture, because he did not elaborate when asked for details on its acquisition. If any members hear anything further, please let me know privately.