Inversand Marl Pit Nj

flyguy784

To the first question; not yet.

To the second; heck yes!

ABSTRACT Olson, Storrs L., and David C. Parris. The Cretaceous Birds of New Jersey. Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology, number 63, 22 pages, 11 figures, 1987.—^This is a revision of the fossil birds from Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian; Hornerstown and Navesink formations) deposits in New Jersey. Material of previously named taxa, described over a century ago, is augmented by more recently collected specimens from a new locality at the Inversand Company marl pits near Sewell, Gloucester County. With about 8 genera and 9 species, this is the most diverse Cretaceous avifaima yet known. Most species belong to a group of primitive Charadriiformes resembling in limb morphology the fossil family Presbyornithidae and the living family Burhinidae. These are tentatively referred to the "form family" Graculavidae Fiirbringer, 1888, with its provisional synonyms Palaeotringinae Wetmore, 1940; Telmatorni-thidae Cracraft, 1972, and Laornithidae Cracraft, 1972. The species included are: Graculavus velox Marsh, 1872; Telmatorius priscus Marsh, 1870 (synonyms: Telmatornis c^inis Marsh, 1870; Graculavus pumilus Marsh, 1872; Palaeotringa vetus Marsh, 1870); Anatalavis rex (Shufeldt, 1915); Laornis edvardsianus Marsh, 1870; Palaeotringa littoralis Marsh, 1870; P. vagans Marsh, 1872; and an undescribed genus and species probably different from any of the preceding. Anatalavis is proposed as a new genus for Telmatornis rex Shufeldt, 1915. A new family, genus, and species (Tytthostonychidae, Tytthostonyx glauconiticus) is proposed for a humerus showing similarities to the Pelecaniformes and Procellariiformes and tentatively referred to the latter, along with an ulna of a much smaller species. The species in this fauna appear to be part of the modern radiation of neognathous birds, but none can be referred to modern families. OFFICIAL PUBQCATIGN DATE is handstamped in a limited number of initial copies and is recorded in the Institution' annual report, Smithsonian Year. SERIES COVER DESIGN: The trilobite Phacops rana Green. Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data Olson, Storrs L. The cretaceous birds of New Jersey. (Smithsonian contributions to paleobiology ; no. 63) Bibliography: p. 1 Birds Fossil. 2. Paleontology—Cretaceous. 3. Paleontology—New Jersey. I. Parris, David C. II. Title. IH. Series. QE701.S56 no. 63 560 s 86-29837 [QE871] [568'.09749]

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Why thank you Mr. Auspex, you made up my mind for me. Bird stuff I usually just throw out, I find so much of it. Just kiddin, I'm going, I'll keep you in mind. Did I ever mention, I raised a Black Vulture year before last. From nestling to adult, was the most interesting animal I've ever raised. I've raised a bunch. That bird would come on command. I never locked him up and he left on his own as a happy adult when he was ready. He'd sit on our deck rail and wait for hand outs. I made a deal with the local butcher for all his old meats, pick up the odd road kill for him now and then. He'd often sit on the yard with me, my wife, our Lab and two cats. I tell ya it would stop traffic. Still miss that bird.

Thanks for the input.

Wish I could go with you! Even though it is unlikely that I would find any avian material, for a bird guy, it would practically be a pilgrimage.

Black Vultures are...interesting. They have an "unusual" way of cooling themselves off :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Don't expect to find too much, especially not in the way of sharks teeth. If you dig you should definitely be able to find turtle and croc scutes and maybe a mosasaur vert or maybe a ratfish jaw. Every once in a while a more complete disarticulated croc or turtle skeleton is found if you are lucky, but those may be confiscated by the NJSM. I haven't heard much about bird material turning up recently but it is there obviously.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Went collecting there in November 2007 with a small group of club members from Maryland. Found a nice ammonite, one of the "last of its kind" as I recall our guide telling me. Others found the turtle/croc scutes and carapace pieces mentioned above. Check out the spoils piles on your left near the entrance for sharks teeth.

Thanks everyone, I've signed up. I'll let you know how I do. Trip is November 22.

Under whose auspices is access granted? Someday, I hope to go there... :)

I get E mails all the time from this organization. Never been on a trip with them but access is access. I'll let you know how I do.

CATHY@FOSSILANDNATURETRIPS.COM

I just signed up on line and now I get notice of all the trips.