What Do You Mean, It's From A Giant Armadillo?!

tracer

i guess holmesina septentrionalis body armor isn't exciting to too many here, but these are pretty clear pictures, so i thought i'd post them for those who might find one and think it's something else. it seems like there's quite a bit of variety in turtle shell pieces, but the holmesina osteoderms are fairly distinctive and less varied in their manifestations.

TJ found this, as always. i never find or get anything good. it's just fortunate that i have my favorite exogyra ponderosa to trump all his discoveries.

ok, picture this. can you imagine running down a texas paleo trail in your flintstone mobile at high speed and suddenly hitting a 600-pound armadillo?? geez, louise! (wait, can i say that?)(i crack myself so up!)<==linguistic humor -subtle, huh?

post-488-1226060991_thumb.jpg

post-488-1226061010_thumb.jpg

Good find. I don't have a huge number of those myself. Always fun to find something in the Pleistocene that is clearly and unequivocally from an extinct critter, regardless of mineralization or lack thereof.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

yeah, i really like it when he finds something that we are certain what it was, and i can visually imagine it stomping around. or swimming around, scarfing up other paleo victims. you know what i mean. for me, all these things are about counting coup on the past. i like getting the visual.

Nice find Tracer, and thanks for the visual. I think I will be looking at all those belly up armadillos in a whole new light now.

Wow, I can't imagine what a car collision with one would look like!

Nice fossil and pic. Thanks, if I'm ever lucky enough to find one then I'll know what it is!

Kevin Wilson

As for me, I can almost hear the bellowing of mammoths at times, permeated by the occasional wail of a paleo hunter being swatted aside by a massive trunk as his coterie of cazadores closes in on the beast with sharp, pointy sticks...

Grüße,

Wow, I can't imagine what a car collision with one would look like!

One big glypto-dent.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Reading this thread helps put in perspective our good fortune in Florida. These osteoderms are fairly common here. The armadillos (as opposed to the glyptotheres) come in four sizes here.

post-42-1226086969_thumb.jpg

From largest to smallest:

Holmesina septentrionalis, the giant armadillo of the Late Pleistocene.

Holmesina floridanum, the smaller giant armadillo of the Plio-Pleistocene.

Dasypus bellus, the "beautiful armadillo," a much smaller Late Pliocene to Late Pleistocene form.

Dasypus novemcinctus, the nine-banded armadillo, a recent invader.

These are all related to the sloths (all are xenarthrans), and all originated in South America. Here are a couple of images to provide some scale.

post-42-1226086566_thumb.jpg

This image is of osteoderms from the imbricating bands which provide some flexibility to the buckler of these armadillos.

post-42-1226086639_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

One big glypto-dent.

:P:PB) Well done, friend! :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

In my limited experience none of this stuff seems to be very common in TX. I have maybe 15 glyptodont osteoderms, 10 Holmesina, and perhaps only 3 Daspyus. None were articulated. I think I have a few related verts, but the teeth have proven elusive.

Grüße,

In my limited experience none of this stuff seems to be very common in TX. I have maybe 15 glyptodont osteoderms, 10 Holmesina, and perhaps only 3 Daspyus. None were articulated. I think I have a few related verts, but the teeth have proven elusive.

Yeah, it's a puzzle. Populations of these critters were in Texas before they ever got to Florida.

Glyptothere teeth have always eluded me, but I have 2 or 3 armadillo jaws, plus loose teeth, plus many osteoderms, plus more than a few post-cranial bones.

This is my best glyptothere fossil from the Peace River.

post-42-1226271359_thumb.jpg

I guess we collect what is available locally, and forget that distribution of these fossils is spotty. :mellow:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Awesome piece, Harry. I've otherwise only seen articulated osteoderms from South America.

Grüße,