Latest Trip

Fat Boy

I took off work with a much needed break and opted this time to find some paleocene stuff and had the entire shoreline to myself all day. With very few boats and 10-20 NE winds, it made for a peaceful day. I had a blast. My hope was to find a Paleocarcharodon, but it wasn't to be this day. The waves were just right to keep stirring up the stuff on the shore. On days like this I often forget to stop and eat lunch. And, the days are getting shorter too. Here is a sample of what I found:

Entire finds for the day:

finds.jpg

This is a cool and with a secondary fossil as well with the bryozoans:

fossil.jpg

Flip side:

fossil2.jpg

Largest Otodus of the day:

largeotodus.jpg

Lingual view of my nicest Otodus of the day, lingual and labial views:

niceotoduslingual.jpg

niceotoduslabial.jpg

Here's a small Otodus, but I like this one a lot - Lingual and labial lingual views:

smallotoduslingual.jpg

smallotoduslabial.jpg

I think this is a goblin shark, Anomotodon novus, if so, it's my first one:

goblin.jpg

And I'm not sure what this tooth is. I'm guessing that it's a Brachycarcharias lerichei lower lateral tooth. Anyone have an idea?

notsureyet.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Oh yeah, and one more fossil, a piece of a turtle shell I think with some bite marks in it? I think... Opinions? I'm really not sure what this is.

turtlebite1.jpg

turtlebite2.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Oh yeah, and one more fossil, a piece of a turtle shell I think with some bite marks in it? I think... Opinions? I'm really not sure what this is.

Unless those are adhering sand grains, the material looks more like a fin of that iron/sandstone that turns up there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Unless those are adhering sand grains, the material looks more like a fin of that iron/sandstone that turns up there.

Yeah, those are adhering sand grains. I'll have to clean it up and get a better pic. It's definitely bone like. I'm not sure if it's just a bone fragment or a shell fragment, but it's kind of thin. I added another pic of the flip side.

Thanks for the input!

Kevin Wilson