Mineralized Or Not?

MilesofTx

I have a few bones I am not quite sure of. They have the feel, sound, color and lack of smell(fire test) that they should. But, the marrow is soft where it is exposed. I dont know if its soft or just so fine and delcate that it will crush when force is applied.#13 #14 #15 #16 are all like this.

post-964-1226167265_thumb.jpg

most fossil river bone i've found seems very structurally sound. one of my "tests" is to push on a thin place that would be weak in leached bone. if it's strong, then i assume it's mineralized. but the cancellous internal "web" of bone is pretty thin stuff. most of your stuff that you've posted looks like it's fossil. remember, though, a lot of how something fossilizes has to do with the type and amount of minerals available where the bone ends up, in addition to how long it's there. bone starts out as maybe 70 percent or so mineral in the first place (hydroxylapatite, i think). the burn test is just to see if there's still collagen/protein in there too. so if that organic material is broken down and gone, regardless of how much "replacement" there's been by silica or whatever, the "burning hair" smell shouldn't occur.

it's all sort of a snarge shoot until such time as testing gets cheap. my best advice would be to think of the finds in terms of whether you like them and want them in your collection, regardless. if so, put them there, if not, see if they'll skip on the surface of the water.

oops. i just realized what a tragic faux pas that last comment was. for those of you who may have been traumatized or enraged at the suggestion that possible fossils should be skipped on water, let me say that i've never, ever done such a thing (tj, remember who funds your entire life), and most fossils don't skip that well anyway, from what i've read in scientific publications.

onward into the abyss!

most fossil river bone i've found seems very structurally sound. one of my "tests" is to push on a thin place that would be weak in leached bone. if it's strong, then i assume it's mineralized. but the cancellous internal "web" of bone is pretty thin stuff. most of your stuff that you've posted looks like it's fossil. remember, though, a lot of how something fossilizes has to do with the type and amount of minerals available where the bone ends up, in addition to how long it's there. bone starts out as maybe 70 percent or so mineral in the first place (hydroxylapatite, i think). the burn test is just to see if there's still collagen/protein in there too. so if that organic material is broken down and gone, regardless of how much "replacement" there's been by silica or whatever, the "burning hair" smell shouldn't occur.

it's all sort of a snarge shoot until such time as testing gets cheap. my best advice would be to think of the finds in terms of whether you like them and want them in your collection, regardless. if so, put them there, if not, see if they'll skip on the surface of the water.

Thanks Tracer. As usual, very helpfull.

oops. i just realized what a tragic faux pas that last comment was. for those of you who may have been traumatized or enraged at the suggestion that possible fossils should be skipped on water, let me say that i've never, ever done such a thing (tj, remember who funds your entire life), and most fossils don't skip that well anyway, from what i've read in scientific publications.

onward into the abyss!

An epiphysis skips very well, as do scallop shells (but they work better as frisbees).

I found a very badly worn and river tumbled oyster fossil today that looks EXACTLY like an ear that would make the perfect skipper.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

• 2 weeks later...

ya'll know that exogyra ponderosa tracer talks about being his "most beloved find?" we had skipping contests with those at the north sulfur river. they weren't too bad actually..

son, this thread died a week ago and you just resurrected it for no reason. plus you misspelled sulphur in the river's name. shame, shame. ok, now what were you saying?

OMGosh!!! Thanks for the chuckle before i go to bed.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.