Blackcat Mountain Trip

Perfect Castaway

Is this a public area or private? Who do we have to contact if we want to stop by on our return trip?

i have back filled voids in ammonites before with paleosculp epoxy putty to allow front side prep. works like a champ, even when all that is left is a thin aragonitic shell.

another option i'd consider is ventral prep for

variety if you have multiple dorsally presenting

specimens.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I have a vague memory of a thread where Crinoid Queen flipped one onto a plaster (or something) fake matrix in order to prep from the bottom. Maybe she can help with some tips.

I suggested in one of those discussions to just whip up some cement and pile it on the upside-down trilo (or crinoid or whatever the case may be).. sure it wouldn't be the same matrix but I imagine it would do the trick. (Havent actually done it myself so don't take my word for it). If it were me I'd make a form out of putty or similar, wrapped around the outside of the chunk and a couple inches high, then pour the cement in, let it dry, take off the form.. then start prepping.. you get the idea. If anyone tries this I'd appreciate seeing/hearing how it turned out.

The cross-section is a transverse fracture that displays a sharp pleural termination characteristic of Huntoniatonia.

attachicon.gifcross-section features.jpg

Wow, amazing how you can see that. I guess I need to stick to the easy stuff - shark teeth.

Daryl.

Wow, amazing how you can see that. I guess I need to stick to the easy stuff - shark teeth.

Daryl.

Not really that amazing, just a best educated guess based on a few pointers from some amazing preparators over the years.

...If I could ever learn to prep like the pros that would be amazing! :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I suggested in one of those discussions to just whip up some cement and pile it on the upside-down trilo (or crinoid or whatever the case may be).. sure it wouldn't be the same matrix but I imagine it would do the trick. (Havent actually done it myself so don't take my word for it). If it were me I'd make a form out of putty or similar, wrapped around the outside of the chunk and a couple inches high, then pour the cement in, let it dry, take off the form.. then start prepping.. you get the idea. If anyone tries this I'd appreciate seeing/hearing how it turned out.

Now I'm remembering a suggestion from someone for the fossil Crinoid Queen flipped. You could scrape some of the matrix material off the original and put down a layer before you apply the cement. This would at least give the right look to the finished job.

Is this a public area or private? Who do we have to contact if we want to stop by on our return trip?

This is a privately leased quarry. But Bob Carrol (Black Cat Mountain Fossils) lets folks in on occasion so you would have to contact him directly.

Now I'm remembering a suggestion from someone for the fossil Crinoid Queen flipped. You could scrape some of the matrix material off the original and put down a layer before you apply the cement. This would at least give the right look to the finished job.

I've been told those big honking Cincinattian Isotelus are usually found upside down and are then flipped and prepped. There are recipes for making up "matrix" that look pretty darn good. Probably have to first grind up a bunch of rock and then figure out the best thing to bind it. But like Dan suggested, a ventral prep could be pretty sharp too.

if it were mine i'd prep the ventral so as not to wreck spines during the upheaval of flipping. in nature you get what's presented.

Grüße,

What kind of upheaval would the spines be subjected to by flipping? Wouldn't the cement/etc serve well enough as the new matrix that is missing from the ventral specimen, and you would just prep down to them, not past them? There may be a patchwork of original matrix and cement left supporting the finished product but to me that wouldn't matter, the cement could be skillfully painted to match the original - the main thing is the trilo itself. (not to downplay the value of a ventral prep)

i guess we all have our preferences. i'm most satisfied with my own prep when it looks completely natural. and i'd probably break spines when working blindly through the matrix from the dorsal side, but that's just me.

Grüße,

I've finished the prep on the Kettneraspis. She's missing an eye and quite a few spines, but she's still a looker.

IMG_6338_zps3bc37790.jpg

Working now on what appears to be a Huntonia cephalon.

Very nice. My philosophy...if we all want to spend the hours and hours like Bob does searching for the "perfect trilobite," then we might get lucky to find one; otherwise, we better be content with what we find. Me- I'm content with all my finds!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I've finished the prep on the Kettneraspis. She's missing an eye and quite a few spines, but she's still a looker.

IMG_6338_zps3bc37790.jpg

Is that the one you posted above, flipped? Nice job! Can you explain which process you used?

Very nice. My philosophy...if we all want to spend the hours and hours like Bob does searching for the "perfect trilobite," then we might get lucky to find one; otherwise, we better be content with what we find. Me- I'm content with all my finds!

Me too, I'm always happy with my best example of a given species, then I find a better one. That doesn't mean I immediately get rid of the first one - only if I've end up with plenty.

Is that the one you posted above, flipped? Nice job! Can you explain which process you used?

That one was posted by mikecable. Mine was not so difficult to prep as his will be.

Oh I see.. I saw it in your post at the top of this page and thought it was yours - didn't review the previous post!

Anyway I'm sure Mike can get his looking good too.

The hunt at Black Cat was a pleasure - both from the fossils and getting to meet some Fossil Forum and DPS members. Always a pleasure! I am still getting a feeling for the matrix, doing my practice prep on the not-so-good sample fossils. Bob Carroll makes it look easy. The matrix ranges from flakey to solid - but mostly solid. Picks only go so far on some of the matrix and an air scribe or mechanical matrix-remover is needed on most rocks to expose the bug. I will post some pics as soon as I have something to show. Overall I may have some good Trilobites, but until I get comfortable on the practice fossils, I am not going to attempt to work on them.

Thanks to those who made this hunt possible! What a great place!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you guys had fun, and it was great to meet all of you whom I had not met before. Good luck in determining your cross section of the trilobite...maybe you will have a large enough portion of it to display!

While I was "babysitting" everyone, I still managed to pick up quite a few rolled phacops, several kettneraspis, a decent huntoniatonia head, an enrolled huntoniatonia, and a few other neat fossils. Below is one that I found- can you tell what it is and what part? If you are an expert at trilobites, please let those who are not try to figure it out first.

attachicon.gifIMG_3430-1.jpg

Lyla

Edit: I also was incorrect when I told someone that no crinoid "flowers" were found there- see: http://blackcatmountain.com/echinoderms_299.html

It looks like a Kettneraspis with possibly the frontal edge of the cephalon showing, along with the little cheek spines.

Ok--I'm having fits with my internet, and can't find my new camera, but here's an attempt to show my bugs. Please tell me what I might have. I don't have X-Ray vision like fossiladdict (Lyla). Be brutal.

attachicon.gifDSCF4302 - Edited.JPG

Is this a head with eyes showing, and the rest of the bug to the left in the matrix?

attachicon.gifDSCF4304 - Edited.JPG

Partially enrolled, with the rest in the rock?

attachicon.gifDSCF4305 - Edited.JPG

Largely there if I excavate towards the top?

attachicon.gifDSCF4306 - Edited.JPG

Slightly different angle on the same bug.

attachicon.gifDSCF4308 - Edited.JPG

Looks to me like this one could be there as well, but I just had back surgery, have a hard time squatting, and don't know squat.

The attached thumbnails have a few different view and at least two different bugs. Any comments are welcome. Which one should be my practice bug? I don't have air abrasion equipment. Any prep will be done with picks, brushes, maybe a dremel.

That rock with the pair of trilobites will look really good when you're done with it.

IMG_6338_zps3bc37790.jpg

Very nice!

It looks like a Kettneraspis with possibly the frontal edge of the cephalon showing, along with the little cheek spines.

It's actually the other end :)

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!