Show Your Goniatites

Missourian

Mid Devonian, Hamilton Group. Arkona ON.

attachicon.gifgoniatite.jpg

The coral is a nice touch on an already beautiful ammonoid.

Context is critical.

An unidentified one traded to me by an awesome collector.

Probably agathiceras.

post-4888-0-22847900-1365267315_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I agree - the Goniatite ammonoids may become my new favorites to find!

Found in Hungry Hollow Ontario April 7, 2013

8378.jpg

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

I agree - the Goniatite ammonoids may become my new favorites to find!

Found in Hungry Hollow Ontario April 7, 2013

Those are amazing. I wish mine held up as well.

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

Here are some I collected a long time ago. I can't find the publication that has the site information but it is the Caney Shale from Oklahoma. I believe it is Mississippian.

This first photo shows two goniatites, the one on the lower right has the shell replaced with calcite and you might be able to see the original sculpturing on the shell. The diameter of the top one is 43 mm.

post-2301-0-63162600-1365536551_thumb.jpg

Here's a side view:

post-2301-0-15214600-1365536584_thumb.jpg

This is a small one with several constrictions. No idea on the species. it is 14 mm diameter.

post-2301-0-68799500-1365536633_thumb.jpg

And this one is very small about 6 mm. diameter, you can see the protoconch in the middle:

post-2301-0-41471700-1365536722_thumb.jpg

Here are some I collected a long time ago. I can't find the publication that has the site information but it is the Caney Shale from Oklahoma. I believe it is Mississippian.

This first photo shows two goniatites, the one on the lower right has the shell replaced with calcite and you might be able to see the original sculpturing on the shell. The diameter of the top one is 43 mm.

attachicon.gifgoniapair.jpg

Here's a side view:

attachicon.gifgoniaside.jpg

This is a small one with several constrictions. No idea on the species. it is 14 mm diameter.

attachicon.gifgoniasmall.jpg

And this one is very small about 6 mm. diameter, you can see the protoconch in the middle:

attachicon.gifgoniaconch.jpg

Those are from the Caney?! Those are great! I didn't know the Caney had much of anything in it, I need to visit the outcrops I know of again and look harder. What part of the state did you find those?

Those are from the Caney?! Those are great! I didn't know the Caney had much of anything in it, I need to visit the outcrops I know of again and look harder. What part of the state did you find those?

These are in large concretions that occur in the shale. Your best bet is to find a creek that cuts through the shale and search the creek bed for these large concretions. The ones in the Caney can be a few pounds to several hundred pounds.