Dog Bone

MilesofTx

When I got married four years ago the wife came with a Jack Russel and the dog came with a bone. She has had it for years and my wifes Rotty had it before the Jack Russel. My wife has no idea where it came from. It has all the features my other fossils have (it passed the fire test) except the color I am used to from the river bottom. Even if its something great, I cant take it away from her, she loves it and it seems to last forever.

post-964-1226326585_thumb.jpg

Just from the looks of it (especially the conchoidal chipping on the end), I'd try the burn test again (if you can get it away from the JRT). Heavily mineralized bone doesn't usually fracture like that...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

it's not tricky, miles, but it's also definitely not a fossil. it is simply the normal mineral remains of a bone. remember, the burn test is to tell if organic material remains, not whether inorganic material has been added. it may well be that enzymes in dog slobber has broken down all the proteins over the years and gotten rid of them, but it's still just a bone.

it's not tricky, miles, but it's also definitely not a fossil. it is simply the normal mineral remains of a bone. remember, the burn test is to tell if organic material remains, not whether inorganic material has been added. it may well be that enzymes in dog slobber has broken down all the proteins over the years and gotten rid of them, but it's still just a bone.

Jolene will be glad to hear that. Notice the rock in her mouth. It is very hard to keep her out of my Fossils.

post-964-1226435063_thumb.jpg

i think i like that dog. i notice the dog has one "killing claw" extended on both the front and back paw on the dog's right side. perhaps the dog was angry that it's picture was being taken instead of that cool fossil in the background being picked up.

wonder if anyone will scroll down here and notice that i'm just sitting down here giggling like heck over the fact that they're all looking all over the background of that picture for the fossil that isn't there. this place sure is funny...

i'm sorry. i'm not usually mean, but all those rocks in that picture just made ME want to go look for something there...

miles - the addiction will probably wear off some, but it might take a year or so. then again, if you've got any other life-long compulsive collecting tendencies, it might not. just keep reminding your wife that it's better than if you were hanging out in bars. and be careful. it seems that fossil collectors tend to get hurt. a lot of the places we want to go are actually pretty dangerous. high places, slippery places, quicksandy places, deep water places, isolated places, and just downright skanky, low-rent places.

on second thought - i'm joining a beer conning sewer's forum and hanging out in bars from now on...

<exiting through the side of the forum that has those cool bat-wing doors>