Lance & Roz's Nov. 8th Fossil Hunt

LanceH

Saturday Me and Roz headed out to hunt a few pre-planned spots hoping to find vertebrate remains but got sidetracked to hunting for echinoids in the Walnut formation in north Texas. We pulled over at a little roadcut that has some good weathering. The strata as weathered is a crumbly yellow patchy limestone and clay/shale mix. Here the trick was to scour the small broken bits of rock about the same size as the echinoids. In all we found 7 Salenia mexicana echinoids and two small Holectypus echinoids.

Here are pictures of my best one, Roz's best one as it was found, and the exposure.

post-11-1226362367_thumb.jpg

post-11-1226362397_thumb.jpg

post-11-1226362875_thumb.jpg

Bite-Sized!

Go ahead...it would make a good post in the "wierd foods" thread.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice Lance! That road cut looks rather similar to the ones we were collecting in on the 9th.......Great pictures!

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Really good photos and nice echies, Lance & Roz.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice echinoids. I noticed them on your website as well, Lance. The Salenia echinoids are some of my favorite regular echinoids to collect although my special weaknesses are the various Goniopygus species. There are some decent roadcuts along US Highway 67 west of Glen Rose toward Stephenville that expose the Walnut Formation where Salenia mexicana and the tiny Salenia leanderensis can be found along with Coenholectypus planatus. Have you and Roz made a run out that way yet?

Regards,

Mike

Mike, we looked high and low at various roadcuts but didn't find anything. Maybe we should have looked more westernly.

Saturday Me and Roz headed out to hunt a few pre-planned spots hoping to find vertebrate remains but got sidetracked to hunting for echinoids in the Walnut formation in north Texas. We pulled over at a little roadcut that has some good weathering. The strata as weathered is a crumbly yellow patchy limestone and clay/shale mix. Here the trick was to scour the small broken bits of rock about the same size as the echinoids. In all we found 7 Salenia mexicana echinoids and two small Holectypus echinoids.

Here are pictures of my best one, Roz's best one as it was found, and the exposure.

I want one :drool:

:faint: Very nice specimens, it is very hard to find them in that kind of condition really great job! Edited by lawooten

The best days are spent collecting fossils