Unknown Vert

brsr0131

My friend sent me these pics of a vert that they had know idea what it was. When i looked at them i got stumped. I hope someone here could help me out.

Its from Eastern North Carolina and Pliocene in age.

Thanks for any help ya'll can give us.

post-239-1226467490_thumb.jpg

post-239-1226467519_thumb.jpg

post-239-1226467529_thumb.jpg

post-239-1226467538_thumb.jpg

post-239-1226467547_thumb.jpg

Very curious indeed.

I don't know what type of mammal it belongs, but it would be interesting to know whether the origin of the rest is marine or terrestrial.

I suppose it is of marine origin but I don´t know anything about NC fossil mammals.

i agree with trop, their are not to many verts that look like that, it can only be seal. not sea turtle for sure or whale. neat though .

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

Even allowing for the fact that processes rolled off, it doesn't quite jibe with the pictures of seal verts that I can find (which are admittedly very few). It may wind up being just that, but don't narrow the search down too much yet. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very curious indeed.

I don't know what type of mammal it belongs, but it would be interesting to know whether the origin of the rest is marine or terrestrial.

I suppose it is of marine origin but I don´t know anything about NC fossil mammals.

I'm not sure why 'Megaselachus13' has decided that this is a mammal. Why couldn't it be from a marine turtle?

I don't know a lot of vertebrae because they almost always require time with the museum comparative collection. This one puzzles me because I see no evidence of a neural canal. Has this bone been worn so much that all evidence of neural processes are gone? Is that extreme wear the explanation for the oval appearance of the centrum?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for all the input. The only thing that is still bothering me is what Harry said about no evidence of a neural canal. Then with the size of it being so big makes me think that its not seal. The only input my friend got from someone was that it may be Walrus but i still dont know. I cant find any kind of references online to compare.

Harry, I will have to go and take another look at it and take some more pictures to see how worn it is.

I have 2 very similar verts, I was told they were sacral (which eliminates the neural canal) and from a cetacean. I have no definite ID on it, so I would love to find out.

I am correcting myself here - I found out over the weekend that they are seal, and they are sacral vertebra. Very nice specimen by the way! :D

Very nice; not a lot of pinniped material out there!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Glad I could be of help to someone - maybe you can guess from my ID where I hunt and and hale from! By the way, I love this site - I read a lot more than I post.

No sacrum on a cetacean and their sacral verts look much the same as the others. Doesn't look seal, and walrus is is nearly identical for the most part, just bigger than seal. If I had to put money on it I would go with sea turtle.