Gilboa Plant Fossils?

Umbro

Hello Everyone, I need some help identifying some fossils found in the schoharie creek on stryker rd. on "table rock" as they call it.

I had discovered this specimen two years ago right after the flooding in the catskills. Earlier this month I went back and decided to film this specimen. I cannot find my film that I took of it two years ago.

I uploaded a video to my youtube page.

post-3475-0-37211600-1366848206_thumb.jpgpost-3475-0-44211800-1366848203_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what fossil(s) this is? the rock is huge.

It is clearly plant, but I do not know the geologic age of the site.

EDIT: Sorry, I see that it is in the title (I miss those a lot :blush: )

Make that Devonian plant. Nice!

Someone else will have to provide an ID...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Jon,

That one curved bit with the the spinous extensions looks similar to the Gilboaphyton goldringiae pictured on page 7 in THIS PDF.

Neat find.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice one.. I don't get to see plants older than Carboniferous very often.. Hope you can collect it!

I was going to suggest Psilophyton but that would just be a guess based on my limited understanding of early plants.

Thanks guys for all the help! Thanks tim ! Iam assuming this is Devonian since it was found in Schoharie creek right off the road where the hurricaine wiped the road out. I think this boulder might have been carried down stream though I am not sure. It was clearly broken in half when i first came upon it. One sid is well rounded from years of weathering and being in a creek/river. It was flipped over on its side. It weighs more thana few hundered pounds i am guessing as i could barely move the rock myself. It has some of the biggest plant specimens i have seen. I really think a muesuem should collect it and save it.

I know you've been to camp nickerson tim, table rock just south along the creek is where i found it. You can see camp nickerson from there.

I'll be posting more documentary videos when i get the chance to edit them and compose music.

-Jon