Ichyosaur Skin Inprint? Found While Working

DLB

Very Interesting but I'm not personally convinced its skin patternation it looks more plant like but lets hope it is...I'm sure we will get some other opinions.....Nice find....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Very Interesting but I'm not personally convinced its skin patternation it looks more plant like but lets hope it is...I'm sure we will get some other opinions.....Nice find....

Has there been any plant material associated with these type of marine bones?

Very nice finds it doesn't resemble skin from what I can see. What is the geology of the find.

Darren.

Holzmaden of germany so I wAs told.

Has there been any plant material associated with these type of marine bones?

There has been woody material found with ammonites... ammonites found alongside ichthosaur remains in the Jurassic.... I suppose its only a matter of time we get woody remains and bone together....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

I've found a lot of carbonized drift wood with a very near likeness in detail as yours of Jurassic age associated with my marine reptile finds.

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hi DLB

Sorry but it doesn't look like skin, it looks more like carbonised wood.

I've seen ichthyosaur remains with bits of wood associated and only the other week I saw some lower lias ichthyosaur bones with associated plant material.

Regards

Nick

Wood? Would It

Be some type of tree fern ? Because It doesn't have bark like the tree material I find in Wa! It looks like it could be a giant leaf inprint but it would be hard to see it making it out to sea. Would any one have pics of similar stuff to compare?

I have seen that patina too associated with carbonised wood...

I have seen that patina too associated with carbonised wood...

Thanks for the help u guys its much apreaceated.

It was a pleasure to help you don’t see much Ichthyosaur material on the TFF…so to me it’s always interesting to see something new.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

It was a pleasure to help you dont see much Ichthyosaur material on the TFFso to me its always interesting to see something new.

Regards,

Darren.

Would u know the species of Ichthyosaur it is?

You say it was found from Holzmaden, Germany the associated date for the species of ichthyosaur Stenopterygius quadriscissus is Jurassic, Upper Lias. So perhaps you should be thinking along these lines if you’re trying to pin down a more positive identification.

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

You say it was found from Holzmaden, Germany the associated date for the species of ichthyosaur Stenopterygius quadriscissus is Jurassic, Upper Lias. So perhaps you should be thinking along these lines if youre trying to pin down a more positive identification.

Darren.

Thanks a lot always good to ask someone that knows. ;)

Leaf fossils are found at Holzmaden. There are photos in the book published by the Hauff Museum, "Das Holzmadenbuch."

Wood? Would It
Be some type of tree fern ? Because It doesn't have bark like the tree material I find in Wa! It looks like it could be a giant leaf inprint but it would be hard to see it making it out to sea. Would any one have pics of similar stuff to compare?

There are a few genera/species known from Holzmaden. Do you have a photo of the entire plate? Someone might be able to put a name to a partial skeleton but I'm not sure if isolated vertebrae can be identified to the level of genus.

Would you know the species of Ichthyosaur it is?

You do get organic remains that go black like that... In the case of the specimen below stomach contents.... Its the patternation that led me to think of bark or plant remains.... just a gut feeling really....

post-1630-0-19750800-1368004690_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Just noticed the post. the bones are disarticulated so the animal most likely would not have had any skin remaining to preserve. At a quick look it appears to be some vertebrae a rib and a partial rear fin and that may be diagnostic, but mostly its the skull elements that are used. Still a nice specimen..

Mike