Claw?

MilesofTx

Looks like a rooted incisor?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like a rooted incisor?

From a large mammal (my thin knowledge of such is now exhausted). :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

llama/camel incisor.

Cool! Next time, maybe I'll know.

Miles, if Auri says it's a camelid incisor, you can bet your alpaca sweater that it's a camelid incisor. of course, if you don't have an alpaca sweater, then i don't know what you should do...

Miles, if Auri says it's a camelid incisor, you can bet your alpaca sweater that it's a camelid incisor. of course, if you don't have an alpaca sweater, then i don't know what you should do...

I am sure he is right. I just wanted it to be something more exciting.

...I just wanted it to be something more exciting.

That's about as cool as they come! I've never even seen one.

But if you don't want it, I'll come get it.

That's about as cool as they come! I've never even seen one.

But if you don't want it, I'll come get it.

Ok, I just thought if it was used to rip prehistoric flesh. That would be cool. Its a predator thing.

yeah, and Miles, hopefully you've been reading up a bit on caring for your fossils, because there's quite a bit of moisture in the environment in which you're finding those things, so if you take them into your relatively dry house and just let them dry out, some of them might crack. i'd hate to see that llamel tooth crack in half...

yeah, and Miles, hopefully you've been reading up a bit on caring for your fossils, because there's quite a bit of moisture in the environment in which you're finding those things, so if you take them into your relatively dry house and just let them dry out, some of them might crack. i'd hate to see that llamel tooth crack in half...

They will be given the utmost care. Thanks

Ok, I just thought if it was used to rip prehistoric flesh. That would be cool. Its a predator thing.

Well, it was used to direct prehistoric spit! How cool is that?

Camelids evolved in N. Am., spread around the world, and went extinct here.

Check out the Wikipedia entry; it might add to your appreciation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelid

Thanks for the info...and I think the camelid is cool.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

ok...sooooo...you're...looking...for...fossils...which...ripped...prehistoric...flesh...eh?

<backing slowly out of the thread>

Camelids are large animals with slender necks and long legs, and are strictly herbivorous. Camelids differ from true ruminants in a number of ways. Their dentition shows traces of vesitigial central incisors in the upper jaw, and the third incisors are developed into canine-like tusks. Camelids also have true canine teeth and tusk-like premolars which are separated from the molars by a gap.

That is cool. Why would a herbivore need canine teeth?

camelids are bad news, man. how many other animals will kick yer butt and spit in your eye at the same time. one thing i've read that's especially cool is that you can tell how ##### they are by what they spit on you. if they hawked it up from way down in their stomach, then they're really mad...