Speaking Of Cetaceans

tracer

You know what I do with does? I carve a handle and put it through the hole. Then I paint the wings and the beak and I have a eagles head on a stick. Tourist eat them up.

hang on... i mean wait a darn second... what the HECK are you talking about? you put a stick in it and paint it and sell it to tourists? WHAT tourists? wait, i know what's going on here. you've been fossil hunting with s.u.t., haven't you?

Is it that obvious? But I really do, they love them. Every time a cow dies around herepeople bring me the bones or tell me where they are because everyone knows I use bones to make things. I use other things too. One time we had gone on vacation for a week, when we got home there wes a cow hide, large box of turtle shells and a boz of bones sitting on my door step. I just hope no strangers came by and saw them before we got home. Can you imagine what they thought if they did?

Oh gosh, that is TOO funny! Great idea though.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

ummmm, well, YES, momma, i CAN imagine what they thought...

Anson, when you get back, can you PM me regarding what security features exist for this forum...i mean, do you have like panic alarms in here where you push a button on the bottom of your chair or something...

i, i'm rumored to be spineless. plus i saw that movie. <running and jumping out through a window like that lion from the wizard's castle>

...when we got home there wes a cow hide, large box of turtle shells and a boz of bones sitting on my door step. I just hope no strangers came by and saw them before we got home. Can you imagine what they thought if they did?

They'd a thought that you folks really know how to eat!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They'd a thought that you folks really know how to eat!

:rofl:

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

would this be a structural element of one?

post-488-1226973381_thumb.jpg

It is a thoracic vertebra from a cetacean, as you suggested Tracer. I would take it a step further and say it may have come from an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus. Having worked for years on the beaches of southwest Florida as a biologist, I have accrued a number of "parts" of dead stranded animals. I have vertebrae of a T. truncatus that had washed up during a storm and they look exactly like the one in the photo you've furnished. It is a thoracic and not a caudal vert, since caudal verts have a downward projection which that one lacks.

Alas, poor Flipper, I knew him well...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Momma, you could put a really long neck on and make a pterosaur. That would make for a great mobile in any newborns room.

Hey Momma, you could put a really long neck on and make a pterosaur. That would make for a great mobile in any newborns room.

You know, I never thought about doing that. Some tourist will buy anything, I might have to make a few and see if they sell. Thanks for the idea. I go to this really big show that has 1000's of school kids every day. 1 guy got a bunch of dry deer poop, spray painted them gold, call them gold nuggets and the kids payed .50 apiece for them. My 13 yr. old daughter collected a bunch of cockle burrs sprayed then silver, called them porcupine eggs and got .50 for each of them. And anything made of bone goes for 25.00 and up, hay, it is worth a shot.

It is a thoracic vertebra from a cetacean, as you suggested Tracer. I would take it a step further and say it may have come from an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus. Having worked for years on the beaches of southwest Florida as a biologist, I have accrued a number of "parts" of dead stranded animals. I have vertebrae of a T. truncatus that had washed up during a storm and they look exactly like the one in the photo you've furnished. It is a thoracic and not a caudal vert, since caudal verts have a downward projection which that one lacks.

Wow, impressive, most impressive :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.